We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

We're US citizens making our first trip to The Netherlands. We plan to travel from Amsterdam to Rotterdam by train, metro to Zuidplein and then take the bus to Kinderdijk. I need someone to walk me through the process of getting tickets.

Specific Questions:

(1) Where do I buy bus tickets (or otherwise pay the fare)? Is the same ticket used for the metro and bus? I've seen references to stamping my strippenkaart which seems to relate to the metro-- where do I get the strippenkaart and where and when is it stamped?

(2) I have found directions on how to get to Kinderkijk, but not how to return. Where is the return bus? (Near where dropped off?) Is it a regular stop? The directions to get there seem to suggest that it's by special request, so I'm worried about returning.

(3) How do I purchase the return fare? Do I buy a round-trip ticket or two separate fares (one for each direction)? And if it's two separate fares, where and when do I purchase the return?

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,660 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Hi there,

1] Strippenkaart is long gone. PAYG chipcard is an option but might be too much overhead for you. In that case it's 3 tickets (instead of the combined usage of PAYG).

a] Train to Rotterdam

b] Metro to Zuidplein, single ride around 2.50 euro. Buy from vending machine or counter at metro station Central.

c] Bus to Kinderdijk. Single ride is 4 or 6 euro (don't know in which tier Kinderdijk ends up). Pay cash to driver.

2] The bus simply runs in two directions, so 'other side of the street'. Same price as outbound also. 1 x per hour service generally.

3] Also at driver.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

You could also always take the waterboat

cityguiderotterdam.com/travel/…

Or take the Rebus tour boat

http://www.rebus-info.nl/main_en.htm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Thank you! It sounds much simpler than I thought. I really appreciate your help!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Thanks for the boat suggestions. However, we will be going this weekend, and I know some of the tour boats do not run until later in the season. But I'll look into it. I would be a nice way to arrive. Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,660 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Hi again,

Don't know whether Rebus is already running indeed. But I'd definitely advise against it as it only allows 1 hour at Dijk, too short IMHO. The waterbus is running for sure, together with the triangle ferry. Both cost and travel time (calculated from Rotterdam Centraal) roughly same as metro plus bus, so maybe worth one of the two directions?

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Great advice. Thanks!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

If it helps there is a RET booking office on the town side of the railway station , look for a large RET sign on the roof.

They will provide any information for Rotterdam you need and sell tickets; needless to say they speak English and are very helpful.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

Thank you! Again, very helpful!

9. Re: Taking the bus -- how to get tickets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, June 20, 2013