We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

touring - Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven...
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
touring - Rotterdam to Amsterdam

We will be in Rotterdam the week of the 29th for a one day cruise stop. My wife and I are traveling with our 2 sons (16 and 11) and would like to know if there are any recommendations for a driver for the day. Our hypothetical plans are to go to Amsterdam for the day. Alternatively, if there are better ways to see highlights of the city in a limited time, please let me know!

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,059 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: touring - Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Well,

as

a) Amsterdam itself can be discovered much better by foot (and at times tram/taxi) than by car, due to the traffic jam and especially the impossibility to park

b) Train is usually quicker, centre-to-centre, than car

c) Price difference is also huge (count for at least 200-300 euro for full day car with driver).

I'd suggest you take a taxi in Rotterdam to a train station and then train to Amsterdam. Trains go every 30 minutes direct (and every 15 minutes including the ones with detours and switches) and take around 1 hour. On the www.ns.nl you find an English-language travel planner also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: touring - Rotterdam to Amsterdam

I'd hardly call it a tour, now come on. It's a 40 minute train journey tops. If your a prudent kind of guy you could stay in Rotterdam to save money. If you want to tour Holland then you need to go to Maastrict, Harlem, Sandfoort Van Sea. The Dutch people love their beaches.