We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Rental in Leiden Area

philadelphia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Hi There,

My husband travels to Leiden frequently for business and we were thinking about bringing the family over for the summer. I thought that it might be easy to get a sublet type of thing for the summer since it is a university town, however, I cannot find any obvious place on the web that has more than 1 or 2 listings. We're in need of a 3 bedroom place. Outside Leiden and toward the coast would be ok as well. Anyone have any good contacts or know anyone who would like to rent a house/apt for July and August?

Thanks,

Nancy

Mentioned in this post
Leiden
Leiden
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Nancy
Nancy
Meurthe-et-Moselle, France
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Hello Nancy See below site

Best places to rent are Noordwijk or Katwijk .

Both of them close to Leiden and on the seaside

You only need nice weather.

Vic

Mentioned in this post
Nancy
Nancy
Noordwijk
Noordwijk
Leiden
Leiden
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

The site is

www.aanzee.com/villa/aze_fe_main.php…

Serch in south Holland Towns Noordwijk -Katwijk -Noordwijkerhout -Voorhout -Oegstgeest

Vic

Mentioned in this post
Noordwijk
Noordwijk
philadelphia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Vic,

Thanks so much for the suggested site and the suggested locations. Of course, this late in the game, many of the homes are booked through summer already. I have emailed the site you listed to see if they could come up with anything for us. Since it is only 8 weeks or so, we could handle moving a time or two if necessary. This sure could be exciting for the children!

If you have any other realtor sites or classifieds or anything and you have a chance, I'd sure appreciate your reply.

I sure hope we figure out a way to swing this adventure.... : )

Thanks,

Nancy

Mentioned in this post
Nancy
Nancy
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Nancy

Yes it is perhaps a bit (to) late,

see also: www.hollandrijnland.nl/index.php?site=8

Vic

Mentioned in this post
Nancy
Nancy
Manchester
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Nancy

How did you get on? I can recommend Katwijk like Vic.

Louise

Mentioned in this post
Nancy
Nancy
philadelphia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

Hi Louise,

Yes we did manage to splice together 8 weeks. The first 3 weeks we stayed at the CenterParcs resort in Zandvoort. It had plenty for the children to enjoy and the center of town and groceries, cafes, post office, train/bus station were within easy walking distance. The only downside of the resort was the bugs. First we had earwig infestation in the entry door jamb (at night there would be 50 of 'em crawling up the walls towards the kids rooms!) and then we had an ant problem (literally thousands one morning, and we are quite tidy!). Both were handled by the maintenance people.

The next 3 weeks we found a rental of a house in Noordwijk, only about two blocks from the strand. We did get it through the VVV office. It was a lovely house with a lovely owner, but a very cranky lady who was renting below us.

The last 2 weeks we rented from a family in Leiden. I found this one through the Homelink exchange house network. First I asked several owners if they would like to exchange and if they said no, then I asked if they would be willing to rent for some weeks. We felt so fortunate to get the chance to rent a 'real' dutch house in Leiden. The bus stop was only a block away and there was a canal out front.

We had a wonderful time in the Netherlands this summer : ) The playgrounds and amusement parks brought us tons of fun. The rides are sooo much "riskier" than the ones in the states. The lawyers here have ensured that the kids can't have good physical fun anymore. They already phased out seesaws and merry go rounds at our parks. Now, they seem to be phasing our swings as well. The only public playground equipment to be found here in the States seems to be these stupid steps up to platforms and down 6 foot slides.

Thanks for asking!!!

Nancy

Mentioned in this post
Zandvoort
Zandvoort
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Noordwijk
Noordwijk
Leiden
Leiden
Nancy
Nancy
7. Re: Summer Rental in Leiden Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, August 17, 2009