We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airconditioning

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Airconditioning

Me again - about to finalize our Airbnb accommodation and none of them seem to have any air conditioning. Will be there around mid August, should this be a deal breaker? Do i need to find a space with AC? I will be with 2 little babies. THANKS

8 replies to this topic
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airconditioning

If you open windows it’s quite cool overnight even on a hot day, but many on the forum would recommend AC. I live here in Utrecht and find only about 12 days in a year when it can be a little uncomfortable for those who are very used to AC. Opt for one if you must.

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,195 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airconditioning

How quiet is the area around where you are staying?

Opening a window in Amsterdam during the night is often bad advice. The noise from outside can be intense. Likely you will not see the same. And you should on average do fine.

But a disclaimer as well.

Some years back a couple of chums of mine from another forum were in Amsterdam during August. Their daily updates made me cringe.

Temps during the day were 90 f and up. They were miserable. And no amount of opening windows at night was going to help.

Unusual for sure. The unheard of no.

As my friend Harry always says---- do you feel lucky?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
south carolina
Level Contributor
253 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airconditioning

i have gone to holland to visit family every year since 2002 and i learned quickly not to visit in july or august. the dutch will tell you that the summers

seem to be getting hotter every year and while you could open the windows, the dutch don't normally have screens on their windows to keep the misquitos out, and yes, there are lots of mosquitos. if i was you, i would find a place with air-co.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airconditioning

Most airbnb's don't have airconditioning, because most Dutch families don't have either. That should tell you something about how necessary airconditioning is in the Netherlands.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,576 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airconditioning

I sincerely doubt you will find a private residence in NL that has bothered to instal A/C. Been here nearly 20 years and never came across one. Even if they say they have a/c I would double check that. Their idea of air conditioning might be a big fan.

There does seem to places with a/c in Utrecht though. Like http://tinyurl.com/ycdxn8yq

you do know there is a filter for A/C when searching, right?

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
K K
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airconditioning

I haven’t seen AC in anyone’s home including professional footballers of FC UTRECHT.

You would imagine they are a bit spoilt !!

Europe
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airconditioning

When people have AC it's usually just a single unit in a bedroom on the top floor of an older building. Those can get uncomfortably warm in summer . People living on houseboats or trailer homes often have them. But the average building simply doesn't get warm enough (and often enough) to justify the installation of AC.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,195 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airconditioning

Correct if it's AC you want then it's almost certain to be a hotel.

What locals do over a 12 month period as far as AC is not the same issue for a tourist on a one week vacation.

Think of AC as insurance. Even travel insurance. Many don't buy before their trip, save money, and never have the need for insurance.

Others don't buy , save money, and then have a vacation ruined with 90+ degree heat.

If I lived in Amsterdam I would not have AC

But on Amsterdam vacation now I always get it. And I use it.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Reply to: Airconditioning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted