We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Which Amersfoort hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

For a canal tour I found the following link : http://www.amersfoort-rondvaarten.nl/

But I can't tell from it where to go in order to catch a tour, and whether I need to reserve in advance.

I would also be interested to know if there is any other company operating canal tours there.

I will be passing through Amersfoort by car so I also need tips on where to park in Amersfoort that is near some sights and with restaurants or cafes around.

10 replies to this topic
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

As an Amersfoort resident I think I might be able to answer this.

There is certainly no need to book in advance and there are certainly no other companies operating. Your biggest issue however is that they don't operate on a Monday.

Be aware also that, in common with every other Dutch town except Amsterdam, Amersfoort is pretty well shut down on Monday morning. Most shops don't open until lunchtime if at all.

There are a number of car parks in and around the center. The best one is at the theatre called De Flint. Once you get into the center just follow the signs to there. Alternatively you are welcome to park free of charge at my place. I live about 15 minutes walk from the center.

Israel
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Thanks. We are not going to arrive before noon-time (our plane lands at 10:15, we need to pick up luggage and a rental car).

We are looking for a nice lunch stop place with some dutch city views.

Would you recommend walking around the inner canal or going straight to the middle (Hof)?

Will all the restaurants be open for lunch? We would like something not too sophisticated (kid friendly).

We could always come back to Amersfoort for the canal boat some other day We are staying at Landal Rabbit Hill not too far away. Where would we find the canal boat tour and at what hours?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,996 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

What's your schedule that day, maybe Amersfoort (while pretty) is not the best choice for a monday morning. Where you are heading?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

The nicest places to have lunch are on the main squares. That means you should head towards either the Hof or the Lieve Vrouw. Both are ringed with cafes and restaurants, the better ones being on the Hof.

To be honest though, I don't know which is actually open on Monday. The places I would most often recommend, De Pastinaeck and La Scala are certainly closed then. There will be places open, you'll be ok if you just wing it. In general the quality of restaurants/cafes in Amersfoort is excellent.

The boat trips in A'foort run Tue-Sun at 13.00, 14.00 and 15.00. I'd take a look when you are here though as the canal in Amersfoort is more like a moat rather than the canals you see pictured in Amsterdam. Personally i don't think it is that much of a trip. The shop which runs the trips is called Waterlijn and is on Krommestraat, just off the Hof.

You can't really walk round the canal ring, rather the old city walls. This meets the canal at times. It is very pleasant in some parts. Modern and uninteresting in others. When I have visitors I do take them straight into the center but I do that via the Koppelport - …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Koppelpoort_Amersfo… - both it and the area immediatley around it are worth visiting.

Amersfoort has a beautiful, well preserved, medieval center. You will I believe like it.

Edited: 5:08 am, April 12, 2011
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,354 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

One correction - the boat trips only run Tue-Sat at this time of the year.

As you are driving there is also another thing you should be aware of. Amersfoort is notorious for its camera traps. There are both for speeding and jumping lights. This is particularly so on the inner ring road where just about every set of lights has cameras on them. Make sure you take things easy.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,996 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Yeah these camera's are expensive, they had me a couple of times on the Amsterdamseweg....

Other options for a monday would be:

Apenheul - Apeldoorn

Paleis 't Loo - Apeldoorn

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

We will be in amersfoort soon. Is there a bakery in town for speculaas kook ?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday

Reply to: Touring in Amersfoort on Monday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amersfoort