We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what airport to get to Enschede

philadelphia
Level Contributor
356 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
what airport to get to Enschede

We are flying from Phila. Amsterdam has direct flight but how far is it. DO we take train from Amsterdam. Is there another airport we can use

4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what airport to get to Enschede

It did have an airport, mainly for charter flights; closed now and still political struggles about reopening.

Direct trains from Schiphol airport take 2.15 hours. I'm afraid with none of the German airports in that area you'll reach the same closeness by public transport, also because cross-border buses/trains are not that good. So go for Amsterdam I'd say.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what airport to get to Enschede

From Philly, your best option is probably Amsterdam. You should be able to get nonstop flights from Philly or one of the NYC airports. Any of the other airports in The Netherlands would require a plane change.

Another option would be Dusseldorf (DUS). Travel time by rail from there to Enschede is comparable to the time from Schiphol (Amsterdam). You can use the below link to check on rail schedules.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,307 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what airport to get to Enschede

I also say Amsterdam. get off the plane. Train station directly under the airport. get on train and off at Enschede with no changes.

There is no direct train link to there from a German airport and in fact they are further away so it's a no brainer.

The only thing is that US Airways have a direct flight from Phily to Frankfurt which would save you at least 4 to 5 hours flight time. Train from there will take you 4 1/2 hours. Whether that floats your boat or not I don't know.

Edit. I could not find a direct flight to Amsterdam, which airline is that? If you can get adirect flight then take that.

Edited: 4:49 am, February 01, 2011
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what airport to get to Enschede

Huh? US Airways does Amsterdam directly from Philly, flight 798 eastwards. Does not seem to be daily but at least a few days a week.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: what airport to get to Enschede
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Enschede