We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterland towns and bus

Which Volendam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Waterland towns and bus

I understand that Volendam can get very crowded. Because of that, we want to go to Volendam first and early. On an earlier post in 2012, I read that the Waterland ticket could only be purchased after 9. Are there any restrictions like that now? We want to arrive by 8 or 9 and wander around taking pics. Do you have suggestions of where to go for the best photos?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Besides Volendam, where else does the Waterland Card covers?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Hi again,

See the route map of the bus company at

ebs-ov.nl/fileadmin/user_upload/Reisinfo__dn…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Waterland towns and bus

That is a great map. In all of my questions over the months, no one has ever posted a map. I keep wondering where to go once I get off the bus. This helps. Thanks.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Nring, thanks for your map too. It looks as if there is a bus we could take and save our feet for the gardens and fields. Thanks.

Kroonstad
Level Contributor
169 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Waterland towns and bus

If we have one day for ANYWHERE in Netherlands, plus 1 day for Amsterdam, would you please give advice if the Waterland towns are worth this one day in Netherlands? We love smaller towns, cheese tasting, seeing traditional Netherlands living as it used to be in history, etc. But I have no idea if the Waterland is worth an entire day in Netherlands?

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Is there a charge to visit the wharf and historic area? I thought it was a town where one walks around and takes pictures of the buildings and water area. I just realized that I could be wrong. We thought we would get there around 830, hopefully, before the crowds. Thanks.

Monnickendam, The...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Hello there, comming from the region waterland so i think I can help a bit I have to tell you I'm really biased towards my home town monnickendam.

I find Volendam to be too touristic. The whole harbour site is one big tourist trap. Besides the traditional tourist activities of dressing in local traditional clothes and the many shops, it doesn't offer anything authentic.

I would advise you to at least visit Marken. That is a place where you can walk around and really imagine what live would be long ago.

Besides the bus ticket to get there, there is no entrance fee because it's really just a regular town where normal people live.

A friend of mine who lives in Marken had to sent tourist out of his home because they where looking for a toilet. They thought it was one big museum and asked him to point them to the loo.

That's how pitoresc it is!

But if you have a whole day you could easy visit several towns in waterland and all on the same busticket (waterland ticket)

My advise would be to start of in Volendam early to avoid the crowd, from there you can actually take a boat to Marken. Walk around and enjoy Marken for a bit. Take the bus to Monnickendam (although I'm biased, it really is a pretty town with an historic harbour and other beautiful sights like the speeltoren)

If you have any energy left I would like to advise you to make a stop at the next town over: Broek in waterland. A bit different from the other 3 towns because it's not an old 'Zuiderzee' harbour town but unique in it's own way.

I hope my 2 cents gave helped you with making your decision a bit easier.

Monnickendam, The...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Hello there, comming from the region waterland so i think I can help a bit I have to tell you I'm really biased towards my home town monnickendam.

I find Volendam to be too touristic. The whole harbour site is one big tourist trap. Besides the traditional tourist activities of dressing in local traditional clothes and the many shops, it doesn't offer anything authentic.

I would advise you to at least visit Marken. That is a place where you can walk around and really imagine what live would be long ago.

Besides the bus ticket to get there, there is no entrance fee because it's really just a regular town where normal people live.

A friend of mine who lives in Marken had to sent tourist out of his home because they where looking for a toilet. They thought it was one big museum and asked him to point them to the loo.

That's how pitoresc it is!

But if you have a whole day you could easy visit several towns in waterland and all on the same busticket (waterland ticket)

My advise would be to start of in Volendam early to avoid the crowd, from there you can actually take a boat to Marken. Walk around and enjoy Marken for a bit. Take the bus to Monnickendam (although I'm biased, it really is a pretty town with an historic harbour and other beautiful sights like the speeltoren)

If you have any energy left I would like to advise you to make a stop at the next town over: Broek in waterland. A bit different from the other 3 towns because it's not an old 'Zuiderzee' harbour town but unique in it's own way.

I hope my 2 cents gave helped you with making your decision a bit easier.

Edited: 4:39 pm, April 02, 2014
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Waterland towns and bus

That is really funny because that is exactly what we are planning to do right down to going to Volendam early. I had read about how busy and touristy it is. We are interested in photography of the town. We plan to take the boat to Marken and the bus on to Monnikendam and then onto Broek in Waterland. We will see if we get worn out before that last town. Thanks for confirming my choices.

Edited: 7:00 pm, April 02, 2014
iasi
14 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Waterland towns and bus

I will stay four days in Volendam. Three days I'd like to visit Amstrdam and on day I want to go to Keukenhof ... I have a few questions:

What kind of transportation to get my subscription, EBS or GVB?

Where is the bus stop in Volendam to go in Amsterdam? Tickets can be bought from the driver or there is a specialized office? What is the bus schedule to Amsterdam and return to Volendam?

It is website where I can find this information?

Thank you