We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterland towns and bus

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Waterland towns and bus

I understand that Volendam can get very crowded. Because of that, we want to go to Volendam first and early. On an earlier post in 2012, I read that the Waterland ticket could only be purchased after 9. Are there any restrictions like that now? We want to arrive by 8 or 9 and wander around taking pics. Do you have suggestions of where to go for the best photos?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Hi there,

That's changed indeed and now it's valid all day, cost 10 euro. However there's also the 13.50 all-day card which also includes GVB bus/metro/tram and Connexxion (e.g. Zaande Schans) so depending on your hotel location that might be even better.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterland towns and bus

I'm confused with so many means of transportation and passes - Waterland towns/bus? Region Day Ticket? All-day card? Holland Pass? I Amsterdam Card? too many choices.... which to get?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Well depends on your travel pattern. Will solely cover Waterland card (10 euro) and all-day Region card (13.50) as these are for public transport. The others have _some_ public transport (often solely inside Amsterdam) and lots of museums/attractions; they have break-even if you'd buy single tickets for enough museums/attractions to justify the cost of the pass. Only you can do that maths.

Waterland card is solely EBS buses and costs 10 euro. All-day region card is GVB city transport, EBS, Connexxion (e.g. Zaanse Schans and bus 197 Amsterdam-airport-Haarlem) and the Arriva line to Keukenhof; costs 13.50. Hence All-day is better if you don't have a GVB pass yet _and_ would first need to travel inside Amsterdam to Centraal Station to catch a Waterland EBS bus.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterland towns and bus

We plan to do the Waterland one day. On another day, we plan to go to Keukenhof. We want to be there by 8. I had thought of taking the train to Haarlem and bus to Lisse. Now, I am wondering if the Region would be better. We could visit another town while outside Amsterdam. Then, are you saying we could use the ticket once we are back in Amsterdam to get around? I s an 18 minute walk from Lisse bus stop the shortest to get to Keukenhof? Would taxis be available? I know I am off my original topic, do you know if big camera bags are allowed in Keukenhof. Thank you for all your assistance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Hi there,

Well the problem is the ticket is valid on "the Arriva line to Keukenhof", as far as I know solely 858. Hence not on the Haarlem-Lisse bus. So for your scenario the Amsterdam & Region ticket might not be the best.

A cab inside Lisse could work but needs to be prebooked, they won't wait for the bus to drop passengers. And when we last visited Hof some years back (another one planned next month, new guests...) people were carrying all kinds of large bags too, hope it hasn't changed.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterland towns and bus

@Mbruce

this is the walking rout from the busstop Vreewijk to the Keukenhof https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lisse,+Vreewijk/52.2664843,4.5485058/@52.26481,4.5554259,16z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c5c2732722b25d:0x61d1ebcf6d98bb25!2m2!1d4.561176!2d52.265553!1m0

No there aren't any taxi available. You might want to find a taxi around Lisse via Google and rang them before you leave Haarlem.

You can bring in all kinds of camera bags into Keukenhof. And know that there is a small luggage storage at the main entrance as well.

Nina

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Thanks for the walking map. I just want to be there by 8. We are staying near CS in Amsterdam. Which transportation do you suggest for Keukenhof. I have read many posts on this and am still trying to figure the best for my arrival time. Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,049 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Do you really need to be there by 8am? Getting there just after 0900 would make your life a lot simpler. If not you would be quicker taking the 361 Interliner from Schiphol to Lisse which only takes 20 minutes to Lisse. The bus from Haarlem takes twice as long.

If you want to use the region ticket then you can take the 310 bus to Getsewoud from Schiphol and then pay for the 162 bus or try to organise a cab from there.

Personally I would just arrive an hour later and take the dedicated bus.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,489 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Train to Haarlem then bus to Lisse. But you'll simply have to pay single ride fare at the bus, as said the day card is not valid. Price somewhere between 4 and 6 euro.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterland towns and bus

Thanks everybody. I will look at all the schedules again before we leave home. Your ideas are very helpful. Obviously, we are trying to get to Keukenhof to have maximum time before it gets crowded.