We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Ijmuiden

Which Ijmuiden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day in Ijmuiden

Hi, we are stopping here for a day on our cruise with our 5year old daughter. The cruise company excursions are really expensive so I was wondering what there was to do here? Is it a town or just a port? Is it easy to get to Amsterdam or is there perhaps another place nearby to visit that is linked to Ijmuiden by bus? I hear there is also a beach, is it nice and is it close to the ferry terminal?

Any info is much appreciated!

Anna

Edited: 8:29 am, June 12, 2012
4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Ijmuiden

Hi Anna,

The beach unfortunately is a few km from the cruise terminal, it's south of the harbour. Not bad though, with nice walks towards the south in the dunes.

It's a port annex small town, with shops etc. But not huge. Probably best to visit Haarlem or Amsterdam on your own. Each has direct buses; for Amsterdam it's also nice to return by the Fast Ferry, which speeds the North Sea channel in 30 mins and anchors near a bus stop for the last few km to Ijmuiden.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Ijmuiden

Hi thanks for your reply.We have decided ot visit Harlem it looks lovely. I have found a bus number 75 that goes from Ijmuiden to Harlem but i cannot find the return price for adult and child. Also the nearest stop seems to be a 20min walk away from the ferry terminal at Planetenweg road (the stop on the website is called ijmuiden zaanstraat) Do you know if this is correct or is there a bus that goes fro the ferry terminal?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Ijmuiden

Hi again,

Your ferry jetty is Sluisplein Ijmuiden and the closest busstop according to 9292.nl/en is Zwaanstraat (Planetenweg), it calculates 17 mins walk. So you are about right. There is a bus stop closerby in my memory but on a different bus line and not timed well for a transfer to a Haarlem line, so indeed walking cannot be avoided. The site above also gives a map.

The bus will be around 4-4.50 euro for a single ride, so max. 9 euro return.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,336 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in Ijmuiden

Google maps plus the Connexxion website confirmed: there is a bus stop at 5 mins walk from the jetty, Oranjestraat, but it's for line 74 which goes Ijmuiden-Beverwijk (and then further north). There are trains Beverwijk-Haarlem 4 x per hour but still that route is both more lengthy and costly than the walk to a bus line 75 stop, sorry...

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: Day in Ijmuiden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted