We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

I believe there is a hydrofoil that goes from the area (perhaps Velsen?) regularly and only takes about half an hour to reach Amsterdam. This would be ideal for us as we would enjoy the scenery from the boat. However, I am not sure where the hydrofoil leaves from in relation to where the boat fromk Newcastle pulls in. Does anybody know about this? We will have our luggage with us so are hoping we can easily get from one to the other.

Alternatively, does anybody know how much the DFFS bus costs and whether we can simply purchase a ticket on that bus?

Many thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,780 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Hi there,

Prebooking the DFDS bus costs 8 euro and on the spot 10 euro.

Busline 74 stops not so far from the ferry (5-10 mins walk) and in 10 mins brings you to the ferry stop (Pontplein, Velsen). It's indeed a lovely boat ride. Bus goes every 15 mins daytime and ferry every 30 mins.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Very helpful

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Does anyone know how easy it is get a taxi from the ferry to amsterdam central and much it would cost? We have a little dog and luggage so would like a more direct route! Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,780 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Very easy, they'll be waiting on arrival.

Looking at the distance, maybe EUR 100+ for a single ride? It's more than twice the distance Airport-town...

Regardz,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Thanks Erik,

do you mean they'll be waiting directly outside the terminal when you arrive? I've read some conflicting things online.

So basically my options are to come off the ferry then jump in a taxi that will be waiting outside, or get the ferry across to amsterdam centraal and get a taxi from there?

Or book the DFDS bus to Centraal? Does this go all the way across via road?

This should be very easy but i'm finding it very hard!! Thanks for your help.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,780 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Hi again,

Yes I _expect_ taxis to be waiting there. When we visited the port some years back and a ship came in quite a few taxis. But don't have the most up-to-date status; if you want to be certain can look up some taxi phone numbers, then you can ring on your mobile when you're within cell reach of the port...

The other (public) transport options are:

* DFDS bus. All the way on the road to Amsterdam Centraal and probably the cheapest (8 euro when prebooked).

* A bus-fastferry combi to Centraal, as described earlier in the thread. Still 5-10 mins walk from the DFDS jetty to the bus stop

* A direct bus line from same bus stop to Amsterdam Sloterdijk station. From there taxi or local public transport to your 'Dam hotel; there's 15+ trains per hour, taking 6 minutes, from there to Centraal also.

Hope this clarifies a bit,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

some people want it on a plate dont they?

Me I just roll up pay and get on with it, whats the drama about a 21 km ride??

Edited: 8:02 pm, November 18, 2010
Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Well, bully for you, smr2ley! You live in Newcastle and know that the bus is there but this is not well publicised to the world at large and there was some conflicting information about the best ways to get to and from the destinations, as is evidenced by other people also posting with questions about this.

You can keep rolling up and I'll keep on asking when I don't know what the answer is. If you don't ask, you often don't learn and there's a lot more in the world still to be learned.

No, I don't want it on a plate! Information is always handy, however, and I much appreciate the help I got through this site.

I am now back and had many fine adventures over the 10 weeks in UK and Europe, going by public transport nearly all the way. I found the post-Thatcher&Major privatised transport sites most unhelpful. They almost fall over themselves to tell you nothing because they don't want to sound as thought they may favour one company/mode of transport over another: " Tell them nothing and nobody can complain!" (Perhaps you've been exposed to a few too many of these yourself, smr2ley.) Luckily, however, I found the people of northern England a delight (I hope you are not the exception, smr2ley. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.)

The people of northern England, and especially Yorkshire, were warm, friendly and extremely helpful. I dips me lid to them and hope I can be just as helpful if travellers want a little info out of me occasionally. Thanks to all those who contributed helpful advice on how to get between the ferry and the cities. I am grateful and much obliged.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

>>whats the drama about a 21 km ride??<<

Its a long walk with a bag!

Wanderlust how did you get to Amsterdam in the end? Bus or the hydrofoil.

I took the boat for the first time in the summer. Mind you there was a terrible rain storm and I could not even see the riverbank!

Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

I ended up taking the bus provided (at a cost) by the ship company both from Newcastle to the boat and then from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam. It seemed a bit non-adventurous in many ways but there were so many things to do in Amsterdam and I wanted to get there as quickly as possible as I didn't have as much time as I would ideally have liked. Amsterdam was wonderful and I have no regrets about getting there a little earlier rather than a little later. Beautiful city. Loved it that the bikes rule. Wish we could get that going in Sydney.

Get answers to your questions about Ijmuiden