We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Which Haarlem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Going to Amsterdam for 4 nights from 3rd May. Due to the flower parade this will be a very busy time to visit so Keukenhof so i'm thinking of making a day trip to Haarlem on the Sunday as I've read that all the flower floats are in the square. I see its an easy train journey but was just wondering if it gets very busy and is the Market square easily reachable on foot from the train station in Haarlem?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

It will be busy - lots of people like to watch the floats - it won't be overcrowded.

You can walk from Haarlem train station to Haarlem grote markt (market square) in ten minutes - see google maps for directions

Nina

manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Thanks Nina for your quick response. Are the floats there until the night time? x

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

No they are there until 16..00 (4 pm).

manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Thanks Nina that's really helpful :)

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

They are not only on the market square, there is not enough space! Once your at the square you will see markers that show you how to walk to do the complete route along all floats. It will take you some time, but this also spreads out the people so it doesn't get too crowded.

manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Thanks Anna :)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

We have a REALLY short time to spend in Holland. Our flight arrives about 8:30a..m. May 4 and we need to leave next morning (May5). Is it possible to view the floats in Market Square, then go to Keukenhoff Gardens for remainder of the day - or do this in reverse (whichever way is recommended) or is cramming both into one day just too crazy?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

@sandra G. I think this is absolutely doable. I would start on sunday morning in Haarlem and see the floats from 10 - 12 Have lunch in Haarlem(or Keukenhof) and take the bus to Keukenhof and see the Keukenhof from 2 - 6.

See 9292.nl/en for buses, timetables and maps how to walk.

Nina

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Hi all

We are flying in Thursday 1st May staying in Haarlem not arriving till Lunch time so spending the afternoon in Haarlem going to Keukenhof on Friday all day Sat .Going to Delft and Sunday after Church looking at the floats just hope its not too much .

God Bless

Doug

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viewing flower floats in Market Square Sun 4th May 2014

Thanks so much Nina. I have really appreciated how you help everyone with all the questions about 'everything flowers" !

Should we expect Keukenhof to be crowded since we would not be there until afternoon?

And do you recommend staying in Haarlem or in Lisse? We would like somethng with a little character - not too vanilla like most chain hotels probably around $200/night.

Sandra