We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Which Haarlem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
5 posts
Save Topic
Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

I'm planning a trip later in the year from the UK to see one of my favourite bands who are playing at the Philharmonia in Haarlem. Could anyone tell me if the venue has a website as I need to book a hotel as close to the venue as posssible plus, how easy are train journeys to and from schipol ? Where's the best place to stay ?

For information now, I'll buy you a beer on arrival :)

Cheers

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Their web address is http://www.philharmonie.nu/

Sorry - the entire site is in dutch!

They're in the city centre of Haarlem, so you could try Hotel Amadeus, Joops Hotel or Hotel Die Raeckse. The "Lange Begijnestraat" is a few 100 meters from the Grote Markt (market).

Schiphol is not far from Haarlem, so you might take a taxi (though dutch taxis have a bad rep and are expensive).

I estimate that it would cost 35 to 45 euro (20 km door to door).

The train takes at least 30 mins, you have to change trains at Amsterdam Sloterdijk station. From Haarlem Station, it's a nice walk (15 mins?) to the centre. A ticket costs € 5,10 (single trip, 2nd class).

This is a dutch route planner for public transport: http://www.9292ov.nl/

Unfortunately also only in dutch - but maybe you can manage.

And now about that beer...

England
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Many thanks for the info, maybe that beer could be a bit warm and flat by the time it gets to Eindhoven :) Best wishes from NWUK

England
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Many thanks for the info, perhaps maybe that beer could be a bit warm and flat by the time it gets to Eindhoven :) I once went to Gemert, is that anywhere near you ? Best wishes from NWUK

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Hi there.

Use Bus 300 (so called Zuidtangent) to Haarlem.

www.zuidtangent.nl

This bus will bring you right in the heart of the center, and It leaves the airport opposite arrivals hall in the furthest left corner when facing the big TV screen when you walk out of the airport plaza hall. No transfers, somewhat 30-40 minutes, subject to where you need to go, somewhat EUR 5 one way on the "Strippenkaart".

Regards

Marcel

England
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Thankyou Marcel, that sounds like the best option so far, do you have any recommendations for Haarlems hotels or B&B's ? I can see I'm going to have to change lots of pounds for euros before I get to that pub :)

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Yes, Gemert is somewhere near Eindhoven, though I've never been there. Enjoy Haarlem, it's a nice town!

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Hi there.

NO personal experiences, regrettably (I live 5 miles from Haarlem..)

Subject to your expectations, budget hotel or more luxurious, you might try Joops hotel for the budget class, the Carlton for the more luxurious cathegory. If you are keen on shopping too, try the carlton, walking 15-20 minutes through the entire shoppingstreet will bring you to the market square that might be concidered as the towncenter...

Lots of terraces there in that area, nice to spend a summer evening peoples watching while having a nice meal outside, accompanied by a good glass of wine of special kind of beer.....

Enjoy.

Marcel

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

Gemert.....that little town is 10 kms from my birthplace....wondering what you had to do in Gemert, of all places....?!! ;-))

England
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

I have some friends who play in a band in Holland and Gemert was one of the places I came to see them play, I don't remember the name of the venue but it was an interesting place with a biker/rocker feel to it, down to earth and mostly friendly patrons. I've also been to Veenendaal, Harderwijk, Alkmaar, Delft and Rotterdam on my world tour of the Netherlands :) great people and some beautiful things to see.

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
80 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to a concert at the Philharmonia Haarlem

We've stayed at the Joops and the Amadeus both several times in central Haarlem and would recommend either one. Clean rooms and nice staff. Watch the slippery shower floors in either place. Make sure you get a grip before moving around - especially after those beers! They are both right on the market square so there's plenty of outdoor cafes and people coming and going all the time. If you are sensitive to noise, just bring your earplugs in case you get a room with a view of the square. The church bells right next door are awesome! Love, love, love Haarlem!!! Happy travels...

Get answers to your questions about Haarlem