We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike to a town near Haarlem

Which Haarlem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bike to a town near Haarlem

I will be in Haarlem for the day in September. I would like to rent a bike and bicycle outside the city. Is there a small, picturesque, atmospheric town near Haarlem that I could bike to?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike to a town near Haarlem

Hi there,

Hmmm... not really something similar to Haarlem. The best biking route from Haarlem is to the beach at Zandvoort, crossing the big dunes nature reserve on your way twice. Of course using different routes each way. E.g. outbound Bloemendaal-Overveen and then inbound Heemstede.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

haarlem
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike to a town near Haarlem

A very nice place to bike to and not far away at all, is the little fishing village Spaarndam. It is very small, but has great scenery, a tiny harbour and a lock. It is famous for smoking eal, so don't forget to eat some at the waterfront. You can also visit the world famous statue of Hans Brinker, who saved Spaarndam from the floods by putting his thumb in the dike. (In fact the 'legend' is a late 19th century romantic fake, written in the United States.....). I'm sure the place where you will rent your bike, will have some maps avaible with interesting route descriptions.

Have fun!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike to a town near Haarlem

Both are nice!

Spaarndam i think is the best for you to go to. Really a pretty nice little town! And a very nice bike route also.

but on a warm day it's also nice to cross the dunes to zandvoort, spend a few hours on the beach and head back through the dunes to haarlem. For me that's a well spend day on a hot summers day!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,530 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike to a town near Haarlem

Reis08 you do realise that this post is 9 months old?

5. Re: Bike to a town near Haarlem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 25, 2009