We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Virgins

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
European Virgins

My Fiance and I are thinking about venturing to Europe for our Honeymoon in late April. It'll be the first time to Europe for both us. I guess, my main question is, can two dumb Americans who have never been outside the U.S. travel to Amsterdam and be comfortable? The thought of using currency other than the dollar actually causes a bit of anxiety, not to mention transportation and hotel accommodations. Is Amsterdam a good place for beginner travelers or should we just stick to the states?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European Virgins

Simple answer , you will be fine in Amsterdam. Just about everyone can speak English , the difference between the Euro and $ is not that great. Hotels are small by US standard , but how much room do two people want !!! Act normally and be polite and you will be very comfortable ... geoff

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European Virgins

Amsterdam may well be one of the best first international travel experiences one can have. As geoffboxer said, English is widely and very well spoken...

Food and drink is mostly familiar (Heineken?...Amstel???) and customs and culture are similar to those in the states...The only concern with currency is mathematics...and that's the same...hence, no concern...

Amsterdam is compact and walkable, so transportation concerns are minimal...

Choosing a hotel can be anxiety causing...but that can be just as true in Las Vegas...Read through the reviews...and find a few that look interesting...

We stayed in the Borgmann Villa..out of the center, on VondelPark. Decent sized rooms in a nice quiet neighborhhood...

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: European Virgins

You well get used to euros quite rapidly, believe me. And I concur with Geoff: nearly everybody speaks English over there. Dutch people are nice, and will not judge you after your nationality. You chose a wonderful romantic city for your honeymoon, you cannot possibly not like it : )) Since you will be in The Netherlands at the end of April, I suggest you a few things:

- go see what 8 million tulips look like, in 1 single huge garden. It is located half way between Haarlem and Leiden, in Lisse. It is called Keukenhof ( see: http://www.keukenhof.com ) ; you reach it by train + bus. If you may go early AM, it is even better, both for the quality of the pictures, and for lesser crowds. Go even if it was not sunny: the colours and contrasts are more dramatic then. Half a day will be just fine;

- take a cheap train ride between Haarlem (the train station itself is old and pretty) and Leiden : you will get stunningly beautiful views over coloured tulip fields (see: www.ns.nl for timetable and cost, click on "English" at the top of the page);

- make sure you do not miss Haarlem, and if possible, Delft, where Vermeer was born; romantic, and a special quality of light;

- if you would like to go away from Amsterdam for a day trip: take the train to Enkhuizen, to the north. There is a train leaving every hour, and even if you were to fall asleep on the way, no problem: Enkhuizen is at the very end of the line : )) The open air museum is really really really fun and interesting. It is called Zuiderzee Openlucht Museum - you board on the boat leading to it just behind the train station, you can't reach it by foot. The Tourist Office is adjacent to the train station (see: http://www.planetware.com/maps-/netherlands-enkhuizen-nl-nh-enk.htm)

- if you would like to walk on beautiful long sandy beaches, go to Texel, in the north. Train to Den Helder, then a short bus ride to the ferry (ony 2 stops), then ferry, then bus again. See more at :http://vvv.texel.net/mooi_texel/strand/algemeen&lng=en - west of Den Hoorn there are quiet secluded beaches with no crowds

Why sticking to the States when The Netherlands has so much to offer ?

If transportation causes you anxiety, feel free to ask questions on this forum, plenty of people will help you understand how easy it really is.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: European Virgins

`>>>The thought of using currency other than the dollar actually causes a bit of anxiety<<<

I'm struggling to understand why. Can you count to 100?

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: European Virgins

If you're going to be there on April 30th get your hotel reservations now. That's the Queens Birthday the biggest street party of the year.

Bring some orange clothing!!!

Aussie in UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: European Virgins

Definetey go, it is one of the easest cities to travel in, you wont have language problem and in actual fact it may give you an unreasonable idea as to how easy it is to travel in Europe.

If you have been to New Orleans (before Katrina) it is a similar type of atmosphere, most people are there to meet friends and havea few drinks and see the citiy and its culture. If you decide to stay out and walk into dark dodgy areas then people may try to sell you anything, just like any other city workld wide.

Hope you have a great time, travelling I believe can never be taken from you. Go for it!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,509 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: European Virgins

"stick to the states"

Why on earth would you if you have an opportunity?

Amsterdam will be a wonderful experience, another obvious alternative with no language barriers is London. For a long visit, as much as I love Amsterdam, London we be my 'must visit' first choice. Followed by Paris & Amsterdam.

Stoofer.

Paducah,ky
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: European Virgins

I think I would also go to London instead of Amsterdam. I have been to both and definitely prefer London. As a matter of fact I like London so much I have returned there 4 times since first being there in 2003... Once you go to Europe the first time you will want to return again and again.It is not difficult at all.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: European Virgins

London is fine but Amsterdam being smaller is much easier to navigate by foot. I woudl leave London for another trip and enjoy Amsterdam first:)

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: European Virgins

I have been to both London and Amsterdam and although I love both cities I would choose Amsterdam to visit again especially for a honeymoon. The size of Amsterdam makes it feel more intimate and there is nothing more romantic than walking along the canals. One consideration is Queen's Day at the end of April. Personally I would not want to be there during that time.

As far as feeling comfortable traveling out of the U.S. for the first time I think Amsterdam is a great choice of destination. I think the thought of traveling in a foreign country is more intimidating to you than it actually is. Getting out of your comfort zone can be awkward at times but so rewarding. I suggest doing some good research in advance. Having some knowledge of the basics such as the layout of the city, transportation ...etc will help put you at ease for your arrival. Have an adventurous spirit and go for it! You will wonder why you didn’t go sooner!