We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

Is there a standard percentage when dining, or using hotel services?

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

No, no fixed number. Giving no tip is common, as none is really expected. On a bill of 18 euro, I might be inclined to round up to 20 euro, but it's all down to your own discretion really. Don't feel compelled to give anything here, only give if you feel it's appropriate, and even then, just whatever amount you feel is right

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

what Redsox said , as many of the larger restaurants and even some of the smaller incorporate a service charge in the menu price.

However I normally tip for a meal between 2 - 5 euro , but only if the meal , service and general conduct of the server is good. Otherwise nothing.

RedSox also makes a valid point on the "rounding-up " scenario. If I've been drinking in a bar for any length of time and I don't have to fight to get the bartenders attention for another drink , I always round up , for example if the bill is Euro 32.50 , I give 35 ...geoff

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

All of the above also goes for hotel services. I never leave tips for maids etc. in hotels (in NL) since base salaries are higher here than in a lot of other countries and those higher salaries are part of the room price as well ofcourse. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

Thank you to all 3 of you!

5. Re: What is the tipping etiquette in restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 16, 2009