We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from belgium to the netherlands

rome italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from belgium to the netherlands

i will be in brugge and want to go to the most beautiful places in the netherlands. i love picturesque or romantic places. i have been to amsterdam. what places are close to brugge? how long is it to the airport in brussels from these places since i will be leaving from brussels, i don't want to go too

far away.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

If I understand it correctly, you won't be going directly from Brugge to NL? Why? It's not very efficient to go to Brussels first and then on to NL...

The province of Zeeland is close to Brugge. Zierikzee (that's in Zeeland) has a cute historical centre. Vlissingen has a lot do and see as well (also a great city centre). I don't really like Middelburg.

Vlissingen can be reached by train from Brugge, as well as from Brussels. See for details http://www.ns.nl and click on English. Zierikzee can be reached from Vlissingen by bus 133 for instance (not by train), but that does take a while (more than an hour).

Zeeland has a lot of cute towns, but they are hard to get to when using public transport. A lot of these towns are not or hardly serviced by public transportation... If you have a rental car, just driving around the province is fun by itself!

rome italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

i am flying in to brussels and leaving from there, but i won't be staying in brussels. i have rented a car so i can do any driving required. how long does it take to drive to zeeland from brugge? thanks for the suggestions. i am second thinking about staying in brugge. i think i should have another base for seeing places in belguim and the netherlands. what do you think?

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

alexia

Brugge to Zieriksee will take you a little hour. Personnally, I find Brugge a perfect city to be based on if your intention is to explore some parts of The Netherlands, maybe checking Antwerp out on your way.

While in Zeeland, you might enjoy the quaint old town of Veere. I have fond memories of a market day in Middelburg, with women dressed in traditional costumes and wearing clogs, going away on bikes when they were finished with their errons - and mind you, contrarily to touristic little places closer to Amsterdam, they were not dressed for tourists, it was NOT Hollywood-in-the-Netherlands ... I think the market was held on Wed., but not sure, after all these years.

You could also do: Brugge - a quick stop in Ghent - see the lovely Mechelen, stop in Antwerp if you feel like exploring a bigger city, and proceed to go to Zeeland. This drive only (if you were not stopping) would take 2h30m

rome italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

great information thanks.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

Hi there.

I can only just confirm Eirelover's and Bas' answers.

Only question: when are you going to come over here?

That makes quite a difference in seasonal activities.

Brugge would be a very lovely place to stay for a few days, however, if you have the opportunity to move around, don't make your way back to Brugge every evening, it will cost you a lot of useless time which you could spend on enjoying other activities in other locations such as mentioned above, instead of driving back to your hotel in Brugge.

Regards

Marcel

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

Veere is great indeed. Forgot to mention that one! And if you're unable to find it, just enjoy the beautiful scenery of the countryside or visit the magnificent Delta Works! :-)

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

Veere: viamichelin.com/viamichelin/… Te map is about the location as a town, but since you may zoom in and out, you may see where it is in The Netherlands.

I agree with Marcel4646: there is no point backtracking to Brugge everynight if your intention is to travel to The Netherlands more than for 1 day. I had understood you were asking advice for a daytrip to the country, leaving from Brugge.

And I dare adding 1 destination in Holland: Delft is romantic and picturesque alright. If you were to drive from Brugge to Delft in one shot, it would take 2h30m

rome italy
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

so let me see, i am going to put veere, delt, brugge, ghent as places i will definitely go to so where do you guys think i should stay? ghent or maybe antwerp? see i am flying in and out from brussels so i don't want to be too far. is zeeland and area or a town? tell me a little about it. thanks so much for the help.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

In my opinion, you could base yourself in 2 locations. 1st night in Brugge, because it truly deserves an overnight stay, and is still better enjoyed once all the daytrippers are gone. Once you will have been there at least 24 hours, eventually go for a quick visit to Ghent, then 2nd base in Antwerp. It is still in Belgium, so not too far when you need to go back to the airport, but close enough to Zeeland to see it as a daytrip, and eventually another daytrip to Delft. If you're into museums, there are quite a few in Antwerp.

http://www.trabel.com/brugge.htm

http://www.msc-gima.nl/delft.htm

www.enidlawsongallery.co.uk/pages/paul.htm (scroll down the page, 2 pics)

www.pbase.com/klausjschmidt/image/6207746

www.zeeuwsemedia.net/clanron/history.htm

www.picturesofholland.nl/Veere/DSC06631.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips from belgium to the netherlands

Zeeland is a province; Veere, Zierikzee, Vlissingen, etc. are towns/cities which are located in that province.

If you need directions driving, use this planner: http://www.routenet.nl/?language=GB

This one also gives international directions. Even from and to Italy! :-))