We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

I've been to Amsterdam once, Zeewolde, but while there all we saw were the metal tall (3 spoke windmills)....

Are there any of the more "traditional" wooden windmills visible in the Amsterdam area? We are staying at the Holiday inn which is a 25 min ride into the city...maybe we'd see some on that train ride?

We leave tomorrow at NOON so i hope someone replies :)

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

You probably don't understand Dutch, but this site has pictures of traditional wind mills in and around Amsterdam:

home.tiscali.nl/agricola/molen/index.html

For example, the "Gooyer" at the Funenkade 5 (which is about 2 km south-east of the central station) in Amsterdam.

There's also the "Rieker Molen" at De Borcht 10 in Amsterdam (Buitenveldert), or "De Blom" or "De Bloem" (flower) at Haarlemmerweg 465; or "De Otter" at the Gillis van Ledenberchstraat 78. There are also old windmills at the Herman Bonpad 6, and the Haarlemmerweg 701.

The dutch society for the conservation of mills in the Netherlands has a website: www.molens.nl . Their site is in Dutch too, but maybe you can understand it a bit; the button labelled "Het molenbestand" links to their database of windmills, neatly categorized per city, province, type, function, etc. Just fill in "Amsterdam" in the "plaats" box, and you'll get all the wind mills in Amsterdam.

But you could also just go to the tourist office (opposite the central station) or the hotel lobby and ask which one is closest or easiest to reach. If you're staying in the Holiday Inn at the De Boelelaan, the windmill "De Rieker Molen" is probably closest (1,25 km).

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

There is one approx 15 mins walk from your hotel. The far end of Europalaan turn left at roundabout and it it 200 yards on right.

It has dozens of chickens walking loose, ask your concierge for directions is needed.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

In my opinion, the most beautiful one is the Windmill of Sloten. Probably because it's near where I live. :-))

http://www.molenvansloten.nl/index_eng.htm

The only windmill in Amsterdam which is still completely accessible to the public.

A bit out of the city centre but it can be reached by public transport as well and parking is no problem there.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

The one near the Europaboulevard is the windmill "De Rieker" that I mentioned.

5. Re: Wooden Windmills in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 22, 2009