We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Topic
Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Hi, This is my first thread on this website. I will be a sophomore in college this fall. I plan to study abroad in Europe my junior year. I will need to make a decision about where I want to go by the end of this year.

Some info about me: Male, will be turning 20 in August, I go to a midsize state school, sociology major, originally from the Los Angeles area, huge follower of edm(electronic music), I spend way too much money going to concerts and music festivals haha.

Currently I am very interested in Amsertdam, Berlin, and Prague. Here is what I am looking for in a study abroad city:

-Great nightlife: (clubs, bars, music, etc) I am not the type of person who enjoys sitting at home on the weekends. I like museums, nature, sightseeing as much as the next person but having an active nightlife is an absolute MUST for me. Amsterdam and Berlin both have thriving music scenes but I know Amsterdam is a smaller city overall. Will there be enough to occupy me in Amsterdam without getting too repetitive?

-Ability to travel: This is why I am choosing to study abroad in Europe rather than a place like Australia. I want to be able to travel as often and as easily as I can.

-I will be taking my academic courses in English. While I will try my best, learning another language is not a requirement for me.

- I DON'T want to stay with a family. I would like to live with other students in either an apartment or on campus dorm.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Prague is cheaper and more central so you'll have more money to travel.

Los Angeles...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Keep in mind that my parents are paying for everything so cost is not a tremendous issue. I'm not an ultra wealthy trust fund kid or anything like that...but my parents are paying for my entire college experience and have promised to provide me with means to travel while I study abroad.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

.... and between Amsterdam and Berlin, Berlin is cheaper (for food, beers, nightlife).

Amsterdam has many medium-sized nightclubs such as Paradiso, Melkweg, Jimmy Woo, Sugar Factory, Escape (but no huge ones), and various indoor and outdoor festivals such as Amsterdam Dance Event, 5 Days Off, Dance Valley, Milkshake Festival, etc. One of the popular clubs (Club Trouw) is closing down in some months because it was always meant to be temporary, but I'm sure new ones will pop up in its place. I don't know when you'd be studying here but by early 2016 this new concept will come to life: http://adamtoren.nl/introduction/ (scroll down).

I can't judge whether you would get bored here. It's a beautiful, picturesque city with 400 year old canals and gabled houses, some world-reknowned museums, lovely parks, quiet squares, restaurants from all over the world and about 180 nationalities living here.

As for Berlin, I love that city and could easily live there, if it weren't for missing my great friends here. I don't know the nightlife scene all that well, just a few parties I went to and that probably changed already... but it has the big famous Berghain nightclub that Europe's top deejays get invited to. I'd say fashion-wise Berlin is a bit ahead of Amsterdam. Hairstyles and clothing styles I see for the first time in Berlin, make it to Amsterdam about one or two years later. Might be something you're interested in as a nightlife person. :-) Like I said it's also cheaper. As a whole it's not a picturesque city, but a widespread city full of contrasts. Beauty and ugliness, old and hyper modern, bohemian / hipster city beaches and old German beer gardens, loads of history and good museums.

What Amsterdam and Berlin have in common is they are biker friendly, easy for vegetarians, have slow pace of life and mellow vibe, and are in constant development (areas changing from 'no-go' to über cool).

Can't help you on Prague...

I hope this helps. I also studied abroad when I was 20, one of those great learning & growing experiences that no one ever takes away from you. And obviously also had loads of fun. :-)))

Good idea to pick Europe. Indeed we have excellent transport networks, be it rail, planes or buses. www.seat61.com and www.skyscanner.com are websites to bookmark forever.

Good luck choosing between those cities!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/berlintips.htm

Edited: 3:34 pm, August 04, 2014
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Virtually everyone you meet in the NL will speak very good English.

That could be a pro or a con for you

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Glad this thread was unlocked!

A lot would depend on where you want to travel. For most of the places I am interested in, Amsterdam is more central.

I definitely suggest Amsterdam but you can't go wrong with either of the others.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
19,733 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Based on my personal interests I would take Berlin and chose to live there but my interests for studying would be about WWII, so that would be a big reason I would pick Berlin.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

Berlin has a much more vibrant and eclectic music party scene than Amsterdam. Of the three it is also the one which can be considered a true metropolitan city in terms of size, energy and 'buzz' versus the other two which although cities are feel more like large villages.

8. Re: Study Abroad Decision: Berlin vs Amsterdam vs Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 07, 2015