We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or taxi for flight??

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
151 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Train or taxi for flight??

We have an 11:00 am flight and finish up river cruise on morning of Sept 7 (Sunday). We have taken the train in the past but now are thinking it might be faster for a taxi. Thoughts? Usually have to be there 3 hrs before, right?

Thanks for any help.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

To the USA two hours has always been more than enough here. Even with the new security check for US-bound flights I still think it will be enough but perhaps now with a bit less time for shopping. If you are nervous travelers like I sometimes can be in terms of timing, leave yourselves 2.5 hours max. On Sunday morning a taxi will absolutely be a lot quicker and of course less hassle since you will have door to door service

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,092 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

daryleann,

this is just my experience flying in/out of Schiphol. you can do what gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling tho.

but AMS has their S together when it comes to flights back to the USA. what i have experience on my last 3 trips back is that the TSA screening is AT THE GATE! No screening every other family and dog in the airport just to get into the area. So, what it comes down to is that the only people that gets screened are the ones getting on board the plane! Its faster in my opinion and you can wonder around the airport too. I usually get their the 2 hours early just to find a place to plant my A#$# and wait.

again, if you get that warm and fuzzy feeling being early do so. but once you get there and know what gate you're leaving, check out their system of doing thing. I think you will find its more efficient and faster.

one drawback is that if you want to load up on water, there isn't any after the screening since all you have is to board the plane. but on my flights, i can get as much water as i want since i ask and they are more than happy to give.

good luck and enjoy Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

In terms of water, they now have water that is permissable to buy before screening at the small duty free shops in the councourse of the gates. Its a small bottle, half liter, and they put it in a sealed bag. I am in the habit of really hydrating when I fly now so my personal habit is to take an empty liter bottle and keep asking flight crew to refill it for me in the galley.

In terms of screening at the gate I have not yet flown, nor heard from anyone, since they instituted the enhanced screening of electronic devices. The idea was that all devices need to be on or turned on so the inspectors can see that it is a working device. No charge in a device then it doesn't fly. This could be causing the screening lines to move slower necessitating a longer security screening process at the gate. But I am sure that 2 hours will still be more than enough time.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
151 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

Thanks to both of you! Husband was beginning to get nervous. Will go ahead and take taxi,- guess I should ask how long trip is it from Central Station to Schiphol?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,575 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

on a sunday you will be at the airport in less than 30 minutes

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
151 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

Thanks so much! Time to have a decent breakfast before leaving!

7. Re: Train or taxi for flight??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 25, 2015