We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

Hi all,

My friends and I (3 girls) will visit Amsterdam for 3 nights at mid August.

We have found an apartment in the center part of Amsterdam, At Spuistraat ave. near Raadhuisstraat ave.

We have never been in Amsterdam and also never had stayed in an apartment.

Just wanna know if you have any idea about the place we wanna stay for it's safety and also being appropriate for girls or not.

thanks in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,503 posts
227 reviews
1. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

Hi there,

It's not the best place but neither the worst. Quite central in town, but would not walk as a sole female there after about 10-11 PM. As a group, no problem!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,236 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

It's Spuistraat. Straat means street so no Ave. which I suppose you think of as Avenue.

Not sure what Erik's reasons are for saying that it is not safe for a solo female??

Safe as anywhere else in the centre as far as I know. Pretty busy on that corner though.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c210518/Amste…

Our new top question this one on apt renting. Worth a quick read------before you rent.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,503 posts
227 reviews
4. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

Well Spuistraat for us is amongst the more sleazy ones of city centre, next to RLD. That is partly because the north end of Spuistraat still has some remains left of the 'appendix-RLD' which used to be located there, but also the remainder of the street can have lots of (groups of) drunks later at night but isn't that packed, hence the risk of the sole/group drunken person having unwanted attention for a solo lady. Hence the warning...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
5. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

In my opinion you can walk safely in the entire center and areas outside the center, any time of day or night. Just be careful when strange guys start talking to you and start asking if you want to go someplace with them. And don't buy drugs in the streets. The Red Light District is not unsafe, in fact there is probably more police there than most other streets. The same goes for Spuistraat which is in fact a fun street full of nice bars and crappy tourist shops and some very nice shops too. And yes a few red lighted windows with working ladies (or men) but that doesn't stop the average Amsterdammer from simply walking or biking there. To me, the more people out and about, the safer I feel but that's me. And Spuistraat / Raadhuisstraat is always busy.

I wrote this article about safety: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c198229/The-N…

The main dangers are pickpockets, and getting hit by bikes if you don't look out before crossing.

Also, I have no idea why staying in an apartment wouldn't be appropriate for girls. It'll be great fun to share a living room, table, couch! Feel like you 'live' there for a short while! I stay in apartments on city trips all the time, by myself or with a friend, and it's fun. You can store some food and drinks in the fridge so that you're not dependent on high prices in cafes all the time. Make an easy start of the day without warding off hotel cleaning personnel. Come and go as you please without needing to wait for your key, or get weird looks from receptionists.

Have fun!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

@ RonaldoC : thx for the word part :D i learned a new word ;)

@ MrJohnMd: I'll read the page for sure.

@ ErikdR : It's definitely good to know about the negative points too. thx a lot.

@ Cecile74 : thx for all the info. It seems being in an apartment it's going to be fun. Just i didn't know about the safety of being in an apartment. and it seems it's okay too.

thx all

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

No matter where you stay or whether you want to live like a local in an apt or not------read that link or top question I posted above. Renting an apt in Amsterdam can be tricky.

And by tricky I mean that things like losing your money can happen

Understand how to protect yourself from being scammed. Understand the risks. Then go from there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
8. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

"Just i didn't know about the safety of being in an apartment. and it seems it's okay too."

Well obviously you need to lock the windows and doors when you leave, and not bring strangers home. :-)

And if you haven't booked yet, read the reviews, every apartment owner is different, they can be people like you and me, or sloppy people or crooks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
9. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

P.S. In case you decide against the apartment for whatever reason...

The brand new Volkshotel (opened last week) has affordable 3 person rooms and 4 person rooms, unlike most other hotels (which only provide an extra fold-out bed in a small twin room). It's a funky hotel that has creative start-ups and a cafe / soundproof nightclub in the same building (it used to be the building of one of the country's big newspapers), small sauna and hot tubs on the roof, and one of the most popular nightclubs of the city across the street: Club Trouw.

It's just outside the center, a 2 stop metro ride to Waterlooplein in the center, or 3 stops to Nieuwmarkt (or 4 stops / 10 minutes to Central Station).

Near Volkshotel are enough restaurants and shops and bars within walking distance, for example along the Amstel river. If you're interested I can give you some pointers.

www.volkshotel.nl

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,388 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Center of Amsterdam - stay in an apartment

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

And if you decide against an apt take a quick look at this very very long thread. Do a skim not a read.

Four star well located hotel double rooms for the price of a one or two star double room.

Is a hotel safer for young woman or in my case old men? A 3 or 4 or 5 star would be ----absolutely.

Twenty four hour security and a front desk manned all day. Smaller less stared hotels often will not provide this. At night you are on your own for the most part.

For me if I have a health event at 3 am or some stranger follows me into the building late at night I want someone on duty to assist. Called peace of mind.

In the end folks should end up doing what they are comfortable with and what makes sense for them. It's not what we are comfortable with.