We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tennis in Amsterdam?

Dukester24
6 posts
Save Topic
Tennis in Amsterdam?

Hello, I am traveling to Amsterdam for the first time with my family in June, and was wondering if there is any way tennis might be feasible while we're there. Any type of courts will do...we're not picky!

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

There are some courts in Westerpark that are free to use, but other people may be waiting before you. westergasfabriek.nl/plattegrond-park/tennisb…

In case other people are waiting after you, you can play for a maximum of half an hour.

You need to bring your own rackets and balls. There is a toilet, and plenty of cafes in the rest of the park. And even a shallow pond for kids to play in, you could use it to wash a bit afterwards ;-)

Edited: 12:02 pm, May 28, 2014
Dukester24
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

Great, thank you so much! Wonderful suggestion.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

You're welcome. It's a lovely park that I used to live nearby but not anymore, I still miss it. Like I said it has various cafes well worth visiting, for example the bean bags at Westergasterras are lovely, but Espressofabriek is also nice, or Pacific Parc with its huge terrace (if you're lucky to have a good waiter, some of them are terrible and rude). And it has a cinema, lots of grass to sit on, the pond to play in. And further down an animal petting farm with goats, rabbits and such, and still further down along the path that the petting farm is on, you can find a wild/rough playground for children with manually operated little wooden ferries across narrow waterways, reed, wooden huts etc. If you've wandered that far you might as well visit the bohemian 'Buurtboerderij Ons Genoegen', a renovated farm with seats in the gardens all around it, cheap pancakes and lunch, a free "give-away-shop" and a mellow hippie feel in general.

This map shows quite a bit westergasfabriek.nl/en/…map-westergasfabriek (click 'in the park' to see the petting farm), but you may need Google Maps for Buurtboerderij Ons Genoegen on Spaarndammerdijk.

And/or you could have lunch / coffee / beers / dinner at Cafe Restaurant Amsterdam in the residential area bordering the park, in a beautiful old industrial building with tall ceiling, child friendly menu (i.e. peanut butter sandwich on the menu), and a nice little outdoor terrace too.

From there it's a short walk back to the Jordaan area (part of the center).

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

http://goo.gl/maps/1j3cd

Use Google Translate if you need to.

Edited: 3:42 pm, May 28, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

Ddavis, not all those are courts that you can use for free or even for money... you need to be a member for most of them.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

Yeah. And now the OP can click on them and find that out.

BTW - Many private clubs allow public play.

P S - Who said anything about free?

Edited: 5:12 pm, May 28, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

Maybe in the US clubs allow playing by non-members. Here we have waiting lists for membership. Non-members are not allowed to play except maybe during open tournaments for which you need to enroll.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

I respectfully disagree. You continually think people have no knowledge of what goes on in Holland if they don't live there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

There are also a few tennis courts in Vondelpark near the rose garden.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tennis in Amsterdam?

Thank you for explaining to me how Dutch tennis clubs work, Ddavis. Maybe you should explain it to the clubs as well because they seem to think differently.