We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
546 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Sorry for not being specific enough with my previous post. I would like suggestions using non-guided bus day trips for a more relaxed pace. Something that locals would like. Visiting in April 2015. Interested in possibly one non specific museum, food (cheese auctions are not of much interest but cheese tasting is), small paintings or wood carvings for a nice remembrance(50 to 70 Euros price) of the trip, in a less urban environment. Desire to see countryside, water, people watch, just more quiet for a change from being based in Amsterdam for 10 days. Any/all suggestions appreciated...slight limp due to surgery. Pretty well traveled but our first visit to The Netherlands.

Regards, safe travels, 1NVFoodie

Edited: 7:47 pm, May 08, 2014
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Just a curious question - how is this revised from your first post?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,949 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

lol

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Not really sure what to answer here, also not sure were you will be staying in The Netherlands. But if you like countryside go to the provinces of Gelderland, Overijssel, Drenthe, Limburg or Groningen. All of them have nice cities (With busses?)

Mabye you could do some cycles tours in the countryside instead (or use cycle taxi)? Check out Zwolle, Arnhem, Emmen, Maastricht or Groningen on Tripadvisor and see if they have anything you like.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
546 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Rather than using a tour company as the replies suggested, using the public transportation system so we're not dependent on a preset schedule and not being able to linger at a place if we really want more time. Flexibility is the key. Thanks, 1NCFoodie

Edited: 9:12 am, May 09, 2014
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,362 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

None of the replies suggested a tour company, but please clarify where you read/understood THAT. They all gave possible destinations, plus the 9292 site for the train-bus route. Part of the confusion is caused by you mentioning 'public bus' whilst the country does hardly have long-distance bus services; train is the backbone of the transport, buses only run where train does not...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Oke, but do you have a fixed point from where you leave? Or do you want to do more like a tour through the Netherlands? I would recommend using trains too then.

Like I said: Zwolle, Groningen, Arnhem, Emmen and Maastricht are nice cities close to the countryside and all with a unique feeling. If you don't have a point to stay yet I would actually recommend staying in Zwolle, as second largest trainstation junction of The Netherlands it's a perfect base to go and see all kind of things in The Netherlands (countryside) with busses and trains you can check out many places without a too long of a journey.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Locals would never take a bus for a pleasure trip.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

NCfoodie -

I provided this link on your previous post stating it would provide information for public transportation from door to door anywhere within Holland:

http://9292.nl/en

Please take the time to look it over as it has nothing to do with tour companies. Rather it is just the ticket for what you say you are looking for. Plug in Amsterdam and your final location and it will give you multiple options for the day as well as alternative routes. Click on their options and it will give you a map.

PS - click on some of the towns I mentioned on my previous posts. I listed them thinking they would be ideal based on your affinity for the sea and the countryside.

Edited: 11:05 am, May 09, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
546 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

Thank you. I had completely forgotten about the trains vs busses even though I'd read it. Have a good day. 1NCF

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggested Public Bus Day Trips---Revision of earlier post

So if doing trips by train to all kind of places Utrecht or Zwolle would make the most sense to stay, as these are the two trainstations with the most and fastest connections to all the other places in The Netherlands.