We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

manchester
Level Contributor
418 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

Were staying at the Doubletree Hilton this weekend and on saturday we've booked a table at Brasserie Vlaming which is on Prinsengracht near the junction with Prinsenstraat. Are there any nice bars around that area or in between there at the doubletree Hilton? By nice bars I mean cocktail / wine bars as opposed to casual pubs as i've been to Amsterdam a number of times and have always struggled to find bars that you can get dressed up for. I know we have the sky lounge in our hotel and were planning to go there before we start our night out.

I've noted down from previous posts that Henrys Bar and Bubbles & Wine are nice places but these arent close enough for this particular night.

Many thanks in advance

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

I guess you could try gay bar (but straight-friendly) Prik on Spuistraat. They have wine, prosecco and cocktails and modern interior. And the clientele definitely dresses up. :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,332 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

Try http://www.vyne.nl/ on the Prinsengracht. It's a bit further up the canal but a very pleasant walk, especially in the evening.

You can also look at the bar in Mazzo on the Rozengracht.

Dunno about the dressing up bit though, even on those places it will be smart casual. D'vino in the Jordaan has a good selection of wines but maybe not what you are looking for. Vespers is small but also in the Jordaan.

http://www.talesandspirits.com/ is a new place I think so not been there. Only 500m from Vlaming.

If you want posh then maybe the bar in the Andaz also on the Prinsengracht. You can also try the bar in the new art'otel. Supposed to be "trendy"

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

in the jordaan i like cafe chris...not near the hilton but not that far either..

21stcenturyamsterdam.com/amsterdam-brown-caf…

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

In addition to Vyne is the bar at Cafe Van Puffelen just a few doors down. You wouldn't feel out of place dressed up there. Again most every where is going to be more smart casual.

Have tried several times to enjoy D'vino, at this point I can't recommend it.

manchester
Level Contributor
418 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

Thanks all for your very helpful responses at least we have places to head for now. Each time weve been to Amsterdam previously weve ended up wandering around only ever able to find pubs and not bars ps by dressed up I do mean smart casual but my previous experience of Amsterdam has always been jeans and trainers :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

Yep, you will find that lots of Amsterdammers in general are down to earth people and when asked for 'nice bars' we would consider that to be brown bars with informal atmosphere and dress style. It's the weekend after all! :-)

If you look more closely the sense of fashion is more in the way of hipster / arty styles (so people do care what they look like, just in a different way... For example the *type* and brand of sneakers are more important than you might think! ;-)) and not so much in fancy dresses / suits (which we use more for weddings and such).

Edited: 7:02 pm, May 02, 2014
7. Re: Nice bar in jordan / nr central station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 04, 2015