We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Restrooms?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Public Restrooms?

We are thinking about taking our two young children with us when we visit Amsterdam. On the other hand, I really hate not being able to find a restroom everytime one of them 'thinks' they need to go.

What is the availabity and frequency or public restrooms and what is the going price for most?

If there are not a lot of public restrooms do most of the restuarants and stores have them?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Restrooms?

little or nothing in the way of public toilets in Amsterdam. There are a few iron stand-ups dotted around. All restaurants and bars have toilets but mainly for customers.

Some places like McDonalds have an attendent who charges a small fee for the use , even for customers. I also think some of the large department stores have them , but again there is a charge.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Restrooms?

Not the most-"user"-friendly city for public restrooms. The train stations will have them... McDo, as mentioned, for a small-change fee.... or you make a cafe stop, buy something and use their facility. Nothing readily available as they are in Paris (which has automatic toilets in curbside 'cabins' ).

Northeast USA
Level Contributor
303 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Restrooms?

If you have a museum pass such as the Museumkaart, which gives you unlimited entrance, you can stop at a museum in the area if you need to use their restroom. This worked out good for me when I was in the RLD I stopped in the Oude Kerk with my Museumkaart several times to use the restroom.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Restrooms?

I normally just use hotel restrooms

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
197 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Restrooms?

You will be lucky if you find any public restroom in the city. You can go into the bigger hotels or the deparmentstores as Bijenkorf , V&D or Hema.

6. Re: Public Restrooms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 12, 2009