We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location and General Information

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
517 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Location and General Information

Hello Fellow Travelers, We will be visiting Amsterdam for a 40th wedding anniversary trip. We have traveled extensively but this will be our first trip to Amsterdam...planning 12 to 14 days to include Belgium. I plan to use reward points to stay at the Marriott ( Stadhouderskade 12, Amsterdam 1054 ES) but could consider alternate locales. I walk with a limp due to several foot surgeries but regularly travel and use public transportation. We plan on staying 5 to 7 nights. I would appreciate your assessment of where I'm staying. Seems very convenient to trams and easily accessed from the airport.

Depending on flights we may fly into Brussels and take the train to Ghent and then to Amsterdam. It may be that we fly into Amsterdam and then go to Belgium after the first 5 to 7 days. Safe Travels, 1NCFoodie

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Location and General Information

the marriott is in an excellent location. situated in the leidseplein area. and yes indeed, access to many tram lines that pass through that area. as far as access to the airport. if you want to avoid a taxi you can take bus 197 to leidseplein stop and walk a short distance to your hotel, or take train from airport to lelylaan station. go downstairs and hop on tram 1 destination centraal station. exit tram at stadhouderskade stop. across the street from your hotel....good choice of hotel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location and General Information

If you do fly into Amsterdam it will be the express bus from the airport you will want to get to the Marriott not a train to central station and then a tram to the hotel.

I have stayed at both Marriott properties in Amsterdam. Both quality hotels in very good locations.

I like the location of the Marriott better. For me pretty much a perfect location.

You can find a lot of threads and posts comparing the two properties. Flyer talk has a massive thread on this topic.

It's hard to go wrong with either. But if it were me I would not change.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Location and General Information

Good location, close to some of the main museums, the canals, many restaurants, Vondelpark.

You could also consider staying in an apartment so as to have more freedom (eat breakfast or drink a beer 'at home' every once in a while) and perhaps do some laundy too.

www.9292.nl/en will help you plan public transport within Amsterdam and the rest of the Netherlands. 7 days would give you ample time for daytrips to other places.

Ghent is a good choice; lovely place. And Bruges is only half an hour from there, also well worth a short visit.

Enjoy, and congratulations on the anniversary!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location and General Information

One additional thing about the Marriott as opposed to the Renaissance is that they do have a free laundry for guest use. A nice thing to have if you need it.

Nothing beats a free hotel stay in a 5 star in a truly expensive hotel city. Not sure why more people do not collect points when they can?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
517 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location and General Information

Thank you for the great information. 1NCF

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
517 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location and General Information

Thank you for the information and for mentioning Ghent and Bruges. 1NCF

7. Re: Location and General Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 27, 2015