We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam With Teens

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Amsterdam With Teens

We are going to amsterdam with our son and daughter. our son is 11 and our daughter is 19 and are there for four days we dont know what to do there

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s409/Amsterda…

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…plan-your-trip

Edited: 4:47 pm, March 16, 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

lots of stuff to do...

http://bit.ly/TredU5

Edited: 6:41 pm, March 16, 2014
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

We were just there with my 11 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter. We enjoyed Anne Frank's House. We all read the book before going. Well, to be honest, my son read a book ABOUT the book (he likes that kind of stuff better) and my daughter read half the book. I was only one to read the whole diary lol. Still, we had lots of discussions before going. We all enjoyed it although my son was done after we made it through the Secret Annexe and wasn't as impressed going through the rest of the exhibits. (short attention span). He is fascinated with the story though and had a million questions, so was well worth it.

I did have to be careful when we walked back to Centraal station after dinner. We stayed by the canals and avoided the inner section where quick peeks showed some red-lit windows. They still saw a few windows here and there but it was manageable. (11yr old boys are way too curious already lol).

4. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, March 20, 2014
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

<I always wonder what made you decide to book to go see a place when you have no idea what to do there>

+1

Barlad, Romania
Level Contributor
35 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

Hello,

This is my 13 yo daughter's top ten:

1. being in Amsterdam;

2. walking in Amsterdam;

3. cycling in Amsterdam;

4. Tropenmuseum;

5. Maritime Museum;

6. Anne Frank House;

7. Artis Zoo;

8. The cats boat (Poezenboat);

9. Nemo;

10. Concertgebouw (because she loves me...).

It's not in Amsterdam, but you can't miss the Keukenhof (The Paradise gardens).

Enjoy your trip in this wonderful city!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,828 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

@Elaine: Well, if your son likes the "stuff" about Anne Frank he might perhaps like a visit of the Resistance Museum too, not sure. There are a lot of "interactiv" things to see and to listen to.

@Miles: There are so many things to see and to do with children and teens, the previous posters have mentioned a lot of them, I don´t think that you and your family have to be bored:-).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

First of all well done on doing the smart thing-------going to a new city or country and asking the "alleged" experts what are the best things to do.

What any smart person would do. Well at least what I did before my first and 2nd trips.

My trip with young kids was decades ago. They were somewhere between 11 and maybe 16 as I remember.

But we pretty much did the normal stuff.

We went to the VanGoghMuseum, the Riks, a canal boat tour, a walk through the RLD, lots of walking around the city, and at least one trip by the two underage girls into a coffeeshop without parents.

They now have kids the same age as mine were. And they still talk about that Amsterdam trip.

The only thing we did not pull off was a try out with Ajax----junior club.

It was a feb trip and we got the most snow I have ever dreamed of as far as an Amsterdam trip. So deep it was difficult to walk in many places.

So the soccer boots came home unused and I had wished we had brought snow boots instead.

A great trip with kids

I look forward to the ones I will hopefully do with the grandkids

Edited: 9:29 am, March 20, 2014
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

Just wondering if Miles has even come back on to check the replies. :-))

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,828 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam With Teens

I´m sure you will enjoy a trip with your grandchildren very much, MrJohnMd. I often notice that grandparents are much more patient and relaxed with their grandchildren than in former times with their kids.

As to Miles, it might be somewhat tricky to reconcile the requests of a 11 year old boy and a 19 year old daughter, but as to the daughter, she might sometimes do her own thing if she dislikes any activities which are appropriate for the little brother, she is already adult. But many places and things are interesting for nearly everybody, depending on the personal taste of course.