We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Topic
De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

On my way:-)

27th to June 3d

Should be a nice time late in the spring. Maybe the tulips are a bit over the top.

Need a place to stay. Will I get a proper hostel for 450 euro ?

I really dont fancy living in the red light district...

I am visiting this city to watch the cityscape, Herenstraat 7 (that yawner), the churches, Oude Keerk, canalrings,Stadhouderskade 12 (the man in the tree you know) Schuttersgalerij, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, Zon's Hofje, Anne Frank --- hmm .. will start with these, take it from there.

So, that s why Im thinking of Nieuwe Keerk area.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Maybe not the sub, more exactly the tram running outside Niuewe. Need to stress that one :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

What is your question? Whether you can get a hostel for 3 days (2 nights??) for 450 euros? Yes, you can even stay in a 5 star hotel for that.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Need a place to stay. Not clear enough??

27 to 3d. Not clear enought??

Well I m Norwegian, so this english is a bit awkward for me....

I have been looking at Torenzicht and Abba, both getting good review, close to Oude.

Might get a view to the canal also :-)

Should I stay my days here by Oude Keerk, or shoulld I stay near Niuwe, what s you recomendation?

Since the tram is just outside Nieuwe, thats my prreferred location, but I cannot find any hostels that is so inexpensive there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Oude Kerk is in the red light district, where you don't want to stay.

I don't really understand why the obsession with Nieuwe Kerk... The entire city center is fine and has public transport.

Have you looked at StayOkay Stadsdoelen? Or www.hostels.com?

I am assuming you mean 27 May to 3 June? Or 3 days from the 27th of June?? 450 euros is a lot of money for 3 days accommodation.

Edited: 7:27 pm, March 08, 2014
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Problem solved. Got a room. 10 meters north of Oude K.. Please ignore my postings, this was rude, sorry.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

you didnt want to stay in RLD. you focused on new church area because of its proximity to a tram. so you choose a room near old church..which pretty much anchors the RLD with no tram proximity...no, its not clear.

Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

I need seven days in Amsterdam, first week of June.

I found a hotel/ hostel in Oudezijds Vorburgerwal. Very close to Oude Kerk. Well inside the red ligth are, which I didnt want.

Hotel Vijaya

That was the ONLY accommodation that was available for my seven days, at a price I could afford

There was second choice in Raadhuis straat, a the bridge just east of Westerkeerk. That was facing the street, and not so god reviews, noisy. And then some more hotels down in the area around Rijksmuseum - Concerthebouw.

Naples - Madrid - Rome - Istanbul -- just a few of cities I have visited, I have in these stayed at such places as Vijaya. And always been happy with them, even with no stairs, no toilet in room, noisy, small rooms. I am looking for the true heart of the city, where the city once in the past emerged from a fishing village / moorish castle.

Amsterdam scares me. Its the safest city in Europe, as safe as at home here in Norway. But being a retired naive farmer, not used to this red light areas and cafees selling "joints", I might stumble into things I might not be able to cope with in a reasonable way.

QUESTION:

Should I keep my reservation at Vijaya?

Need some comforting thinking about this, everything is so perfect with this location....

Edited: 3:42 am, March 09, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Reading the Hotel Vijaya reviews about the only positive things people say is that the location is good because it is in the heart of the RLD. Great but you already stated you don't want to be in this area and then go book a hotel in the middle of the RLD!! No wonder people are confused.

Don't know what you find scary about cafe's selling joints. In the scheme of things people selling joints must be about the mellowist in the world. They are selling cannabis not crystal meth.

DO you need to come for 7 nights? Also coming over a weekend will substantially increase your costs. For instance if you arrived on a Sunday and left Friday you could get a much better hotel.

Otherwise I would look at your options near the Rijksmuseum.

Edited: 4:18 am, March 09, 2014
Orkanger, Norway
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

Of course, I dont need to come at all. I can just stay at home, continuing my miserable life with wafles and sour cream.

I will cancel that Vijaya hotel. Will cost me 34 euro in fee. Lesson learned, Amsterdam dont want me as an guest.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: De Nieuwe Keerk - a nice hostel and a short way to the sub

???