We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigars

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cigars

i like the odd cigar on holiday, can any member suggest any reasonable Dutch domestic cigars,and give approx price.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigars

I've tried and enjoyed smallish cigars (20 minute smoke?) by Olifant and Van der Donk about €25 for a box of 20. Certainly better than most of the Dutch products on sale in the UK.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigars

Dutch Masters? :-))

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigars

I smoked Dutch Master Royals 50 yrs back at an american air base near me,, lovely smoke.Hope their still available.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigars

And thanks guys for your prompt informative answers.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigars

Across from the Munt Tower is a nice little tobacco shop. I'm sure she will help you pick something nice.

http://www.manja-andringa.nl/

(warning auto-play music)

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigars

Obviously smoke what you enjoy; but Dutch Masters are and always have been manufactured in the USA.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cigars

Bridgnorth -

I know the OP originally asked about Dutch Domestic cigars, but I have a curious question. Is there anything wrong with the leading natural leaf cigar produced in the home of tobacco? Just sayin'. :-))

BTW - Many Floridians involved in the cigar business are of Cuban descent and who have been considered among the best cigar makers in the world.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cigars

Hello DDavis,

It's all a matter of individual taste, I prefer Cuban cigars , closely followed by Jamaican and Central American leaf. Too many additives/flavours in many of the USA cigars we see in Europe for me. With pipe tobaccos the East European , Balkan style, are considered very good, usually considered to be better than Virginian.

I believe much of the Dutch cigar leaf comes from the East Indies (Sumatra etc.) We Brits used to have a taste for Burmese cheroots .. Tobacco can be grown pretty much anywhere, I've met old boys growing it in their English gardens. I think it needed honey and rum added to make it smokable.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cigars

Bridgnorth -

Actually my first reply was a tongue-in-cheek play on words. My question of you was being a bit cheeky. Hope you appreciate my humor. :-))

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cigars

Hi DD, Enjoy your next visit to Europe and The Netherlands, where you can legally smoke cuban cabbage with out being shouted at by the FBI. Seriously Best Wishes.