We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving tomorrow

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Arriving tomorrow

Arrive tomorrow around 16:30 and wondering the best way to get to the Best Western Blu Square from the airport. Have been told can get a tram straight there is that right? Also is there a travel pass or anything me and my girlfriend can buy for our duration (return home Wednesday night)

In terms of currency obviously we are bringing euros with us but if we were to run short do shops accept English Sterling or is there anywhere it could be changed or should I just use bankcard?

Dundee, United...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Arriving tomorrow

hi anyone on line we are couple who booked for the dam tomorrow night

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Arriving tomorrow

it's not msn messenger

do you have a question or are you looking for somebody to hang with?

Edited: 12:15 am, February 02, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Arriving tomorrow

At least this guy started preparing one day earlier than that lost group of Italians...

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Arriving tomorrow

I've heard using your bank card is best if you have a four number pin. Be sure your bank knows you're traveling or they may think someone has stolen your card and put a hold on it.

I remember that on my first trip to Amsterdam I arrived with no euro. None. I had to use my ATM card to buy a train ticket from Schipol, you should have seen the dirty look the ticket seller gave me. Hey, it was stupid, but it was my first trip to Europe and I was excited and, just, well, overlooked it. I just smiled at her since I would have given me a dirty look if I were her, ha. I did know which tram to take to get to my B&B, and the host, Marcel, sent me to the best place to change money.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Europe
Europe
World
B+B York
B+B York
777 Reviews
York, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Arriving tomorrow

MellowD, don't worry, part of the job interview for the NS staff behind those desks is giving dirty looks, otherwise they don't hire them. We also get those looks a lot, whether there is a reason or not. For example when you want to buy a bike ticket for the train and bring your €1600 bike into the office instead of leaving it outside Central Station, teeming with thieves. And while the office is full of strollers, suitcases and other stuff anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Arriving tomorrow

I think surly, rude staff working behind the counter at train station ticket offices might well be a worldwide thing.

Last week, I politely asked a woman working at the information booth at my local Tube station here in east London for info on when the next train was coming and she looked me in the eye, turned her back on me and exited the booth without saying a single word.

On a couple of occasions in the past, i've bought tickets at Schiphol train station and then realised, once I was on the train and half way to Centraal station, that i'd been sold a return ticket when i'd clearly asked for a one way single ticket.

Edited: 9:03 am, February 03, 2014
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
12,449 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Arriving tomorrow

As far as I remeber NS used to have an other trick with the ticketmachines at Schiphol, there used to be a special button on the screen that was something like " To Amsterdam Central" these tickets were so called comfort class tickets and tourists ended up buying the much more expensive first class tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Amsterdam Central Bed and Breakfast
Amsterdam Central Bed...
97 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Yeah that was really a nasty trick. The ticket machines in Schiphol would automatically offer first class tickets when the language was set for English. While second class was perfectly fine for the short distance Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal

In dutch language the standard offering was second class

volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2680/Economie/article/de…

Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
130 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,670 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Yep that is true Jumeirah, if you selected English as a language it immediately came up with a first class ticket to Amsterdam Centraal then added on the €2.50 suppliment there used to be for the Fyra.

Very cheeky.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
130 Reviews
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Arriving tomorrow

It must be international. The only person who was even mildly rude to me in Paris was a guy selling tickets in the Metro. I think you're right, Cecile, it's a job requirement.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France