We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agreed

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Agreed

I cannot agree more.

I have tried to point out to other Trip Advisor users of my experience in this regard. However it does not seem to have been well recieved.

There is a problem, in the hotel that I stayed in most definately, viz the Kap Hotel.

The manager went on the review to say that I must have been to too many coffee shops. That is not the reality, the reality is that Amsterdam is becoming like a health hazard, but this seems to be of no concern to anyone.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agreed

I opened a topic on this same subject more than six months ago.

I asked if there was any means of recourse; any government agency that visitors could turn to in order to report these kinds of health violations.

Unfortunately, even the locals appear to be completely ignorant of any such venue.

At least here in the US, every State Government has it's own version of a Department of Health, and even some municiple governments have such oversight.

In Hawaii, visitors can contact the Hawaii State Department of Health, the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Protection.

But in multicultural Amsterdam (the ethnic jewel of Europe, and the heart of the Netherlands), they have ...

...uuhh, uuhhmm. IDUNNO!

What "DO" they have?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agreed

......Don't insult our bugs, they are indigenous and protected, haha!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agreed

well I drink Whisky at night and can say that Ive never been attacked.

San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agreed

Maybe the Local Expert knows of a local Health Department in Amsterdam, that can be called to inspect substandard premises.

Why must I fork out medical money and be completly inconvienced by unscrupolous hotel owners!!

5. Re: Agreed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 pm, July 23, 2006
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agreed

Sorry - can't help but jump in on this about the Kap Hotel as a result of the many comments on the Amsterdam Forum site (search under Room 15) - which is a room in the Kap Hotel.

1. The response from Hotel Management was outrageous - and shows disresepct to everyone on this Forum. Kap Hotel Management should have been more sympathetic in the response on this website - and that they were not tells me they either simply do not care, choose to ignore people who complain by labelling them potheads or the compliant made about them hit the mark - and they are striking back. Likely room 15 is small, cramped, and undesireable. Management missed an excellant opportunity to address this and failed. Who would stay there after the response received????

2. Previous poster suggested 'these things happen and get over it". Of course he is right - but Jersey did not get the support he should have - so is right to bring this matter up again. To the poster above from NYC - please provide the names of the NY hotels with bed bug infestation - so i strike them off my list. :).

3. To the Amsterdam Local TA Expert - who responded he was (it appears) too busy drinking his whiskey to offer the name/email or weblink of a hotel association or health board who tourists can write to about complaints I say this: you have had to many drinks - and should have offered up the info if you are indeed a local expert on the Amsterdam forum. It is not to late to help.

4. This thread and my message on the Kap Hotel is too important to miss - so I have posted it under the Kap Hotel reviews. No need for Kap Management to be respond - they have previously to the poster from Jersey. I will be in Amsterdam soon enough though - staying elsewhere at a hotel I selected with nothing clouding my judgement but common sense :)

Hawaii
Level Contributor
711 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agreed

Thanks CanadianBoys.

room 15 made an earnest report only to have hotel industry hacks come down oh him.

The same thing happened to me in Oahu forums when I made similar remarks. Very few people came to support me, and I frequently felt alone and outnumbered.

I can tell you, first-hand, that it sure is nice to learn that there are other people who share your perspectve when you're under fire.

San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Agreed

Some very good responses.

Personally, it has nothing to do with revenge or getting a life.

If the staff at the hotel had handled my initial complaint correctly at the outset, all would have been good with the world.

If the management had not gone on this website and insinuated that my 'vision was blurred', all would have been good with the world.

If I had not been made to feel that 'bad experience' was something that is to be expected and accepted, all would have been good in the world.

And so on....

OBVIOUSLY, it was only my experience and I loved Amsterdam, but not the unhealthy room.

At least people are aware that there is a health problem in that city.Some may think that it is all in my head, but time will tell! In years to come, unfortunately ,a 'Hazard' sign and a Quarantine Area

will be welcoming visitors to Amsterdam.

But hey,so what, at least we told that chap on Trip Advisor that he was being emotional!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agreed

Hi folks

Got curious. The hotel has an overall rating of ***1/2 and only 2 out of 8 found Jersey's review helpful. So the hotel can't be that bad although more reviewers complained about the smell. I agree the managers response was not very professional and if I were him, and I think he's following this thread, I would post a review to clear out this disagreeable thing and maybe Jersey could admit he was

charging a bit too much and let bygones be bygones.

Tet Annan-lol-

San Diego, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agreed

I really could not be hasselled if other people think that I have overeacted, or 'am charging to much'. Maybe I have touched a nerve somewhere.

All I did was have my say on my stay at the Hotel Kap. If other s wish to rubbish my opinion, then that is theirs.

As for the hotel manager being professional I would not hold my breath on that one.From the moment he laughed at me when I complained face to face up until now nothing has made me change my mind.