We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

discounts for seniors

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
discounts for seniors

My partner and myself will be visiting Amsterdam 2-8 May this year. I've checked the forums to see if seniors can obtain discounts - for instance in museums, on trams(buses or trains), at keukenhof, at concerts. The advice seems to be to ask at each venture. Is that right?

If anyone could give me any help on this matter I would appreciate it. Thank you

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: discounts for seniors

A quick scan showed no senior discounts at Keukenhof, Rijskmuseum, Van Gogh Museum or Anne Frank House. Pathe cinemas usually has a senior discount of about €2 for 65+ with ID. Municipal travel with Amsterdam's GVB (city buses and trams) offer 65+ discount BUT you need to have a personal e-purse travel card which a tourist can not get (theoretically I guess it would be possible if you went and somehow opened a Dutch bank since you have to pay for the card by electronic direct debit or perhaps if you are from Luxembourg, Belgium or Germany and then you can pay for one with Paypal - all that most likely superfluous info is for sticklers for exact info haha). The NS national railway does not appear to offer a 65+ discount.

Beyond this I would say, when in doubt ask. We have a saying here: "Nee heb je al" meaning you already got a "no" answer if you don't ask so you can only gain by asking. Or as a motivational coach friend of mine likes to say, Go for it. What have you got to lose except success.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: discounts for seniors

Simple answer is no. I was out with a 76 year old visitor last week. But as lenny said asking is free.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: discounts for seniors

Thank you to lennybruce for your comprehensive reply, and also to w-wondering.

I'm sorry for delay in responding ...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: discounts for seniors

For saving on entrance to museums, canal cruise and keukenhof tours you might consider the "I Amsterdam Card" or "Holland Pass".

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: discounts for seniors

If you plan to visit at least 4 museums (not just Amsterdam but anywhere in the Netherlands) during your five day stay, the Museumkaart will likely save you money, regardless of age.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: discounts for seniors

Many thanks to Latvian GG re the I amsterdam card - I have just been researching the benefits of their 24, 48, or 72hr Day Passes.

Thanks to to Hansblix - I hadn't heard of the Museumkaart, so will look further into this.

Another question: As we are planning to visit Keukenhof Gardens from Amsterdam (hotel near Central Station) could you give me advice please on the best way to travel there - by bus? by train? by a combination of both?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: discounts for seniors

Lots of info on the K'hoff on the topQ to the right or by searching the forum. Short answer is train to Schiphol or Leiden and bus from there.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: discounts for seniors

Thank you.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: discounts for seniors

I meant to come back but forgot. You asked about senior discounts but you didn't ask about what seniors in Central Florida hold dearest to their hearts - Early Birds! Don't know if you have seen it yet but you might want to check out this site:

www.happyhourtable.com/search.php…

Another restaurant that is consistently rated among the top ten in Amsterdam is here:

http://www.seasonsrestaurant.nl/en/home

10. Re: discounts for seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 22, 2015