We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

Hello. KLM offers a "flight" from Antwerp to Los Angeles, with the first leg actually consisting of taking the high speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam. I would arrive at Amsterdam at 8:02 a.m., with my international flight departing at 9:50 a.m. (1 hour 48 minutes later).

Has anyone done this or something similar? Is the Amsterdam train station at the airport itself? Is that sufficient time to catch the international flight? Normally, of course, you want to arrive at the airport 2 to 3 hours before an international flight takes off. In this case, I wonder if you check yourself and your luggage in for your flight in Antwerp, and then go straight from the train to the gate (presumably through security again) -- and without picking up your baggage from the train. I don't know where to research this and haven't been successful finding good info about it. I'd be grateful for any guidance.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

The commercial purpose is apparently trying to tap and compete for the Belgium market.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

Thanks all for the extra input. I'd known about the through ticketing arrangements for the Brussel-Zuid to CDG trains, but didn't know there was a similar tie-up with Thalys via Schipol.

Also helps to know about the ticketing and check-in arrangements.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

KLM’s customer service desk advised me this morning that the train portion of this is indeed considered a flight subject to airline change and cancellation rules and fees. The train from Antwerp arrives at the station under the terminal at Amsterdam Schipol Airport. Passengers carry their own baggage from the train into the terminal to drop it with the airline, and one must clear passport control and security. It sounds like potentially a wee bit of a scramble to do it all and get to the flight in time, at least for someone like me who’s unfamiliar with the train station and airport. Still, it seems a viable option.

14. Re: High speed train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 14, 2015