We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

Hi again - I'm planning a day trip to Delft and intend to purchase the tickets on-line and get a voucher.

I'm pretty sure I'll need to exchange these vouchers for tix at the station - and having read other posts, it appears that the queues are similar to those in Paris - LONG!

Is there any way or time that's best to get through quicker? And where exactly in Central do I need to go?

Thanks

Sandra

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

I do not know about getting vouchers and an eventual obligation to trade them for tix later on.

But in my experience (frequent traveler, I do not live there), queues are progressing quite quickly in A'dam Centraal.

When you enter the station, use the temporary left entrance (the front one is closed at the moment, since the station is undergoing a massive renovation) and follow the signs for tickets, dead easy.

Or you may simply forget about buying online (if you are to lose time changing a voucher for a ticket afterwards ...) and buy a ticket from the machine once on the premises.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

HI Sandra,

Don't buy any tickets online, totally not necessary, just buy one from the ticket machine when you are there, as suggested also in the previous answer. National train travel in Holland does not require any reservations, unlike trains like the Thalys to Paris and lots of other international trains.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

I forgot to mention that in July and August one can buy a 2-day national ticket for train travel as much as you like al over the country for 2 days in a period of 7, for 59 Euro for 2 people. It's called " Zomer-toer" (summer-tour). Everybody can buy it. Or 69 Euro incl. all other public transport on those 2 days. Very handy for planning to see a lot more than just Delft.

A one-day return Amsterdam-Delft for 2 people is almost 40 Euro so it's worth considering to buy the Zomer toer and see a lot more.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

thanks for the information....and suggestions..

Dutch - I'll be there in November so I don't think that's quite summer ;) The E59 for 2 for 2 sounds great, though....

I know I can get 3 one day return tix to Delft for E67 with Thalys (one is a senior ticket) - would it be the same price buying on the day? And are there lots of seats on the trains at 2nd class??

I would also like to do a half day tour - to see some dykes and windmills (yeah, I'm a tourist - first time in the Nederlands) - can you suggest a location that we can tram it to - or train it to? I'd prefer that to taking a tour, if it's possible.....

dank u wel! (practicing my dutch - after 4 years of french lessons!)

Sandra

5. Re: Exchanging vouchers for train tickets - for day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 16, 2009