We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to kill time before check-in?

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to kill time before check-in?

Any help would be awesome.. So our flight arrives around 8:30am and check in isn't until 3pm. Got any advice on where to go and hangout (with our luggage) before we can check in? Looking towards staying at Meininger Hotel. And what do you suggest on for transportation to/from the city? I've heard about those 24-48etc passes but are they worth it being our location? Staying 3nights and our return flight leaves in the morning.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

Most hotels have a storage room for luggage so you can drop bags and go explore.

Lots of hotels I've been to also had my room ready way ahead of official check-in. You can always try.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:45 pm, January 01, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

P.S. That hotel is in one of the ugliest, emptiest, least inspiring parts of Amsterdam. Try to stay in the center if you can. For example Jordaan or canal belt or close to Leidseplein.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

From the latest reviews and pics of that place it seemed okay but thanks for the heads up.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

Head straight to your hotel from the airport. Most hotels will go ahead and let you check in if they have vacancy from the night before. At the very least they will let you leave your luggage there until you check.

While there are all kinds of restaurants surrounding your hotel, my suggestion would be to head for all the public transportation about a block away and head for the city center where will have incredible opportunities for hanging out.

My personal suggestion would be to find a good coffeeshop downtown, ask the budtender for a strain which will feel good while walking around, partake, the then enjoy one of the best walking cities in the world.

As I usually walk all over, I will leave it to others that are more well versed about the best tickets to buy for public transportation. However, plan to take the train from the airport to the Sloterdijk Station to get to your hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

This tells you more about Amsterdam's areas that are nice to stay in: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c156882/Amste…

Sloterdijk is not in there, for a reason...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,837 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

Although the hotel is not in a happening area it has great transport connections (you can be in CS in 6 minutes) so I would not worry too much about it being in a quiet area. It is what it is.

The GVB passes don't cover the train though, you would have to buy train tickets to get into town. lots of Busses and trams leave from the station though.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

Have you prepaid for the hotel?

The advice to stay closer in is very good advice.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

No haven't paid for anything yet. Still looking around for good deals, so I'll keep checking, thanks.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

Unless you are an experienced smoker, i wouldn't visit a coffeeshop after a long flight! Best to keep awake until at least you get your bearings and have officially checked into your hotel. However, you may not be a lightweight like me:)

I would also listen very carefully to cecile as she is a local :)

Edited: 9:17 pm, January 01, 2014
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to kill time before check-in?

If you gave some idea of a budget and the type of hotel you want you just might get some good advice here.