We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
463 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

TA members,

Is there a pet relief area in the airport? I chose my connection at AMS because I was told there was a vet on site and a pet relief area. However, I can't find anything on the web (and here) stating that there is one.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

I take it your pet will be traveling as cargo? Where are you flying to and from? If traveling as cargo then your animal will be transferred at the animal transfer facility which you will have no access to. I believe they will have some kind of kennelling there. You really need to contact your airline for details.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
463 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

Ronaldo, my dog will be with me in the cabin and I have three hours between my Moscow flight to Houston. I'm curious to know if I need to leave and go back through security.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

I am at the airport now so can ask but I know this place pretty well and I think you will have to leave the airport to go outside. Security is done at the gate so you will only have to pass through immigration although you might have to walk a bit to find anywhere that your dog can do the toilet. Mind you with three hours you will have enough time to go out for good walk.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

I don't remember seeing a pet relief area in the airport in all my years of passing through. Nor did I see any signage when I passed through on Friday.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

This message is too late for you, but perhaps for future travellers it will be helpful. I have flown with my dog in-cabin too many times to count, with a stop in AMS at least 15 times. The only grassy area for pet relief that I have found for connecting travellers is outside of Departure Area 1. It is towards the left as you exit the airport and kind of past an overpass. *I just looked at GoogleMaps, and it seems that the grassy area is right next to Havenmeesterweg. The 'overpass' I am speaking of is Vertrekpassage and Ceintuurban Zuid. (LAT/LON: 52.307786, 4.762717)* I intermittently ask random airport service-people in case there has been a change or an update, but so far, that is the only place.

Typically, I fly Delta/KLM from the USA so I am coming from international arrivals and then taking a CityHopper flight in Terminal B. I walk towards Terminal B, go through passport control and then the immediate security check. Upon clearing security, I turn right towards the incoming non-transfer security, and exit the secure area. I walk through the public/''unsecure'' shops and head out to the left. To return, I head back in, stand in line with the non-connecting, typically domestic/EU passengers and head onwards to Terminal B.

Depending on the length of the queue for security, this little jaunt can take 15 minutes upwards. I wouldn't recommend it if you have less than a 2 hour layover, but that is just because I don't care to risk missing a connecting flight while hauling my dog around.

Edited: 4:42 pm, April 24, 2014
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

Sorry, somehow those longitude and latitude coordinates are a bit off. Just look fro Havenmeesterweg where it 'intersects' with the overpasses of Vertrekpassage and Ceintuurban Zuid. There is a tall, round, white, circular (from above) radio tower-type-thing. It is visible on the satellite view of GoogleMaps. From street view you can see a black metal fence and the beige gravel footpath.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

Hello this was very helpful I'm flying with my dog in the cabin but also will have my two little kids with me I'm thinking if I should have a like 4 hour for the transfer and go out with my dog or if I could make it in 1hour to my connecting flight? how long does it take to get to your connecting plane? Thank you for your help. Lucy

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

Lucie - Don't know if I'm reading your question correctly but if I am I would NOT try giving your dog a rest stop under ANY circumstances trying to make a one hour connection through SCHIPHOL.

3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

I wanted to ask if I could make it to my connecting plane in an hour without the relief stop for my dog. How fast does it go on the airport. Or if it would be better to buy a ticket with longer layover like 4 hours and go outside with him it probably would be less stressful. Thank you for you answer

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pet relief area in Schiphol Airport?

you dont mention where you are flying from or where you are going from schiphol. but i would think you would want the longer layover for your dogs sake..get it out of the cage..walk around, go to bathroom.