We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

Is it easier to just bring cash and exchange it somewhere or just get money out of an ATM from your bank card?

what are the exchanges in the airport? I would guess there are ATM's at the airport also?

Thanks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

get money out of an ATM is best..have a little cash for emergencies but otherwise use the ATM machine at the airport..make sure your bank knows where you will be and for how long..it will suck if your card is red flagged when you try to use it.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
34 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

I've started having trouble with my US ATM cards in recent years. Last summer, I went to a major bank in the Center, and attempted to withdraw 600EU. The machine showed an error and gave my card back with no money. Tried a second ATM card, same thing. Tried a second ATM machine with the first card again, same thing. The next day I went online to check my bank accts and noticed ~750US deducted from my accts...three times! It took me hours and many phone calls to straighten this mess out. I had notified them of foreign travel in advance. Luckily my partner had cash or I would have been screwed. This year I'm taking Euros with me when I go and just being careful. (Bank of America allows you to buy Euros for a good rate)

Edited: 6:20 am, December 16, 2013
London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

cash is my preference, I bank with Lloyds and they charge me every time I use my debit card abroad.

I can get 1.18 Euros to the pound (at todays rates) by exchanging cash in the UK before I go - my bank will not offer as good a rate.

4. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:08 pm, October 23, 2014
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

I have a VISA atm card, which has worked fine at bank atm in Amsterdam at ING bank and Rabobank. I just got a chip/pin card from Andrews Federal Credit Union for travel. When I was in Amsterdam in March, I found my regular MasterCard credit card was not accepted at a bunch of places. One tea shop didn't accept cash, only chip/pin credit cards. In Prague last week, even a grocery store wouldn't accept cash, just chip and pin credit card! I had to use my credit card for a purchase of $1.50 in CZ money!

6. Re: Cash or Bank card in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 31, 2014