We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

We are looking at staying at a 5-star located near the Central Station. Is this a safe area? Is it difficult to get to museums and restaurants from this locations.

Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,042 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

Hi there,

Generally the area near Renaissance or Crown is reasonably safe. Better not walk alone in the back alleys after dark, but that's true for all of Amsterdam. When using the main streets and front entrance, there is plenty of 'traffic' (more walking than driving) on the streets until after midnight, making it quite safe and secure.

There are plenty of restaurants in this area, and easy connections to museums. For the latter, many of them (the museum quarter) by an efficient tram ride.

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

I dont know which hotel you are staying at , but the area in general is perfectly safe as is all central Amsterdam.

San Diego...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

Why bother with a hotel when you can rent an apt.! My friend and I go to Europe every year for about 9 days. Last March we were in Amsterdam and rented a great little studio for 645euros for 8 nights! That's split between us. We had a little kitchen area too. I do tons of research before I go anywhere and this idea was the best for us!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

We visited Amsterdam in May... there is a LOT of construction in front of, and behind, Centraal Station. The building facade is being renovated and there is also a new subway line being dug. I would personally choose a nicer place to stay, especially if you want to be near the museums.

The area surrounding Vondelpark and Museumplein is very nice, lots of tree-lined streets, good tram connections and it is easy to get around by walking or trams (or bicycles, but be careful there).

Try:

Hotel de l'Europe***** - located off Muntplein

Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2, Amsterdam, 1012

http://www.leurope.nl/

Bilderberg Garden Hotel***** - located by Museumplein

Dijsselhofplatsoen 7, Amsterdam

http://www.bilderberg-garden-hotel.com/

Hotel Vondel**** - located by Vondelpark

Vondelstraat 26, Amsterdam 1054

http://www.hotelvondel.nl/

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

I have been going to the Neterlands for many years, and always found Amsterdam to be very safe (FYI, I am a female solo traveler), even to walk alone late in the evening.

Among the hotels suggested by travelnutty, the 2 last ones are the closest from the main museums. The Rijksmuseum is undergoing major renovations at the moment, but the masterpieces can still be seen. As for restaurants, they abound all over the place.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

Amsterdam is pretty safe to walk around in , but watch out for pickpockets. Open hadbags ,wallets in back pockets etc are sure to attract them. In busy bars be careful with handbags, someone will attract your attention whist another takes your bag. Otherwise i am sure you will be fine

7. Re: Is Hotel near the Central Station in Amsterdam in safe area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 13, 2009