We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Topic
Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Hi. I'm going on a short trip to Amsterdam with my brother in December and we haven't been able to book our accommodation yet. We're looking to stay centrally as cheaply as possible for 3 nights without obviously compromising too much. We've tried AirBnB but at the low end of the price scale we're not having much luck finding anywhere. Being on a tight budget, the holiday rentals listed on this site are too expensive for us and we can't find a decent hotel/hostel that is both central and offering private rooms in our price range.

So my question is: is there a way of finding short holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam, as for example in the UK we have Gumtree which is useful for this kind of thing, and in the US Craigslist performs the same function? Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to this kind of site for Amsterdam that can help us?

This is the last part of our trip that needs wrapping up but it's causing a bit of a headache at the moment, we really want to get it sorted soon!

Thanks in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

When in Rome... Good on you for getting into the Dutch spirit right away, and 'wanting to be on the front row for a dime' (Dutch saying).

I suggest www.hostels.com.

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 3:18 pm, November 27, 2013
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

First of all, you didn't mentioned a budget. Secondly, December what date? Don't tell me christmas or new years eve..

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Yeah we're there Dec 27-30 and we're looking to spend no more than £40-£50/night (total, not each). Money's tight! I had a good look at the hostels but our only options are basically 10 bed dorms and given our ages etc we're really not up for anything like that.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Try the cabins or wagonettes at Camping Zeeburg. Should be within budget since it is the low season. For that budget during a weekend leading up to a major holiday you are not going to get much. And also hotels/hostels have increased their minimum nights stays as well for your dates.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

If money is that tight and you're not going to stay in a hostel, what are you going to do about eating?

At least hostels have kitchens you can cook your own meals in.

Staying at Camping Zeeburg is your best bet although the cabins and wagonettes go by sizes for 4 people. They have heating. And are close to an area with some cheap Surinamese / Javanese eateries (Roopram, Lalla Rookh, Warung Sranang Makmur and such).

In the center falafel is a cheap meal.

Perhaps you should have first looked at how much money you have and then decided where you want to go and when? (Maybe not peak days for example?)

Even hostels might cost more than that.

You could try to find a Couchsurfing host but I doubt anyone would take in two people who have such unrealistic expectations and probably no interest in actually meeting the host.

O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Yeah we know it's not ideal, we booked this DIY euro trip piece by piece rather than all at once starting a while ago, and personal circumstances have changed significantly in the meantime so that's why we have a trip booked with no accommodation and no money! I'm well aware that it's not the most organised way to do it but we had no choice this time. This was just the last part to get taken care of Thanks for the tips guys, we'll check out all these ideas.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Cecile, Camping Zeeburg has 2 person eco-cabins and wagonettes. Not sure where you read it was for groups of 4.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Camping? Hostels? Park benches?

How about an upscale well located close in the center 4 star double room?

Your budget will be very close. But not out of the question.

Look at the right of the Amsterdam forum------Cheap Hotels. Read that link.

Then look at our 223 page 4 star bidding thread. It can be found under my posts if you can't find it.

Forget camping stay in an upscale 4 star is my advice.

You will be close on budget or sure

Ask questions after you have done some reading

Also look at top question under things to do-----a great link on cheap eating.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

John they are visiting Dec 27th - 30th. The chances of them scoring a win on PL is slim to none with such a tight budget.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finding holiday rental accommodation in Amsterdam

Balou maybe not a great chance.

The chances are slim to none if they do not bid.

If they do bid they have a chance. How big a chance is anyone's guess.

Before considering camping or park benches they should at least try.

It cost nothing to try