We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to minimise queueing?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to minimise queueing?

We are going to Amsterdam next October but booking for the museums (especially Anne Frank, Rijks and Van Gogh) is difficult for us.

Are there any days and times when queues are shorter?

Mike

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

Morning would be you best bet.

Getting in the Rijksmuseum when it's just open is no problem, but at eleven there will be a queu.

Anne Frank can best be done by reserving a timeslot online. You don't want to wait hours outside in the cold and rain.

Huddersfield
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

I have been told Monday is the best day. What do you think?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

There is no way for us to tell you specifically what day of the week is best. As Heinke said mornings tend to have a short or no queue.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

Anne Frank House has the worst queues out of all Amsterdam museums, at least get a ticket a month or two in advance for that one, even for a Monday.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

Went a few weeks ago to the Rijks on a Monday. Virtually no queue at all. Their website also recommends this.

Edited: 2:01 pm, November 19, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

Anne Frank House always has queues, even before it's open. I used to cycle past it twice every day and it always had a long queue. It's been like that for years. Any day of the week, any time of year. Buy tickets online before you go!

I went to Rijksmuseum on a Saturday at 3.30pm recently, no queue outside, and only about 5 people queuing to get tickets (but I have a Museumcard), and a few in line to leave coats and bags. I can only 'take' about an hour and a half of full-on historical art impressions anyway, then it becomes overload for me.

Edited: 4:04 pm, November 19, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

I went to AF on a Monday in Oct. We had a reserved time for 10 am and the people in line already had waited close to 90 minutes. When we came out the line was longer.

VG again Monday at 3 pm- the line up for people with a 3 pm time was so much longer than people who just were walk ups. The staff would not let people in until 3 even though there was no lineup for walk ups.

8. Re: Best time to minimise queueing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 21, 2014