We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

My friend and I will arrive on the train from Germany and already paid for the Inntel Hotel in Zaandam for April 26-27. Now that I found out about the celebration and that it will be overly crowded, I am worried that I may have trouble getting to the hotel from the Amsterdam Central Station or it may be too crowded to get any information there. I've been to the train station once so I am familiar with the layout. Will the crowd thin out by late in the afternoon or will it be worse? We could plan on coming in around 7 p.m. if that would be better. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Arriving in the afternoon you risk Centraal Station being overcrowded and the police shutting the station down. Waiting until the early evening you will have to deal with the large crowds heading home as you are trying to make it to Zandaam. So its kinda hard to say which would be a better option at this time. You may simple find that your train won't travel all the way to CS on King's Day as has been done on some past Queen's Days. Is it possible to change your arrival date? Where are you coming from in Germany?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

I would take the train from Utrecht to Schiphol, from there you change into the direct train to Sloterdijk and Zaandam. this way you avoid Amsterdam Centraal station.

But the best advise depends on where in Germany you are coming from. Check. www.ns.nl for schedules

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Flying directly into Frankfurt; spending 2-3 days in Rothenburg ODT; then riding the train to AMS to spend 2 nights before meeting a Gate 1 Tour Group on the 27th. I paid in advance by mistake while trying to hold the hotel in Zaandam; gave my credit card number so was automatically charged. I wanted to ride the train through the Rhine River area to Dusseldorf; then on to Amsterdam. I will never use Priceline again to book a hotel even though it was my mistake without researching a little more. Thanks for your response.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Thanks Grolland, I will look on the map for Ultrech. I may have to consider renting a car in Frankfurt and driving the back road to Zaandam. Would that be possible? The car rental rate is expensive to rent in FRA and return in AMS. I've read on Trip Advisor that tourists are having a lot of problems with the car rental companies in Frankfurt so thought the train might be best. Also, the Inntel Hotel charges to park a car and with the crowd expected may have trouble finding a parking place. It was nice for you to take the time to respond, Grolland and Ballou.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

The train should be the better option. Just change in Utrecht to the train to Schiphol, then change to Zaandam. So you avoid Amsterdam central Station

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Thanks Grolland, think I will try this. So my understanding is get off the train at the AMS airport and then get another ticket to transfer to the train that goes to Ultrecht then to Zaandam.

I heard about the bad storms in your area; hope everything is o.k. there now; we have a lot of tornadoes/hail/windstorms in Texas so know how frightening the storms are.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

You can buy a ticket to your final destination and just switch trains. No need to buy separate tickets for your journey.

I'm from Dallas and I must say the wind today was unruly. I haven't experienced anything like that here and thought the trees in the garden below me would crash through my windows!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Avoid trains to and from Amsterdam Central Station, Amsterdam Zuid, Amsterdam Amstel and Amsterdam Muiderpoort all day.

Grolland's suggestion is probably best. Schiphol won't be that crowded (it is not in Amsterdam). Utrecht might be a bit crowded but nowhere near as terrible as Amsterdam's stations.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

Thanks Balou and Cecile! Balou, you are a long way from home; do you miss the Mexican food in Texas? I appreciate all your help; I've just ridden the trains a few times in Germany, Brussels and Amsterdam and must admit they are a little intimidating. My friend has never been to Europe so did not want to scare her to death at AMS Central Station. I travel a lot and she has confidence in me to get to our locations safe and sound but I was beginning to wonder about 2 senior ladies hysterically rolling our suitcases around trying to find a way to the hotel.

I guess I can buy us a one way ticket at the Rothenburg train station to our final stop, Zaandam. I will get off the train at AMS airport and look for the Sloterdijk and Zaandam train. Do I need to tell the ticket agent in Rothenburg, we need to go through Utrecht, then AMS airport with the final destination, Zaandam?

Sorry to be so dumb but was never on a train before going to Europe except the one at the amusement park, Six Flags Over Texas!

Edited: 11:59 pm, October 28, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: April 26, 2014 (KIngs Day) Arrival in Ams. from Germany

I don't know about buying the tickets (never bought any in Germany). But as for finding the hotel: why not just take a taxi from Zaandam train station to your hotel?