We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oz
Level Contributor
111 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

Ok.....I'm almost in Noord-Amsterdam! Any place to buy this type of home made bread.....the sprouted grain whole wheat bread......this ain't your typical whole wheat bread as it is made with no grain.....hippie food. I shall be near a Landmarkt ( http://www.landmarkt.nl/ ) in Schellingwoude, but I can't imagine them having this labor intensive type bread. Buy the best and weep once.....once you've eaten a sprouted grain bread, it's really difficult to return. Since I'll be all about Amsterdam Centruum, no point in not picking one up if I know where such a bakery might be? Anyone?! Thanks.........

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

I hadn't heard of it before, but the Dutch translation seems to be 'tarwekiembrood' or 'gekiemd brood'.

Perhaps one of these shops will have it? http://www.natuurwinkels.nl/amsterdam

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

Perhaps on Noordermarkt organic market on Saturdays, but be sure to have the Dutch translation handy. I had never heard of that English term and the translations in post 1 don't ring any bells but I'm no expert on hippie bread :-) so they may be correct, just quite rare here.

It's not the same as 'spelt', is it? Hartog sells that. www.volkorenbrood.nl/pagina/assortiment

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,921 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

so if you dont get this special bread and have to eat regular wheat bread, will it ruin your trip?

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

I totally get your addiction. I always enjoyed that kind of "bread" in Europe. Once I stayed at the Pulitzer and had their sort-of granola with whole sprouted wheat berries and I was hooked. It was just nuts and wheat berries! I would have it delivered to my room, soak it in yogurt for an hour while I went back to sleep and Voila, an hour later it was fab. My jowls ached because it was tough to chew, how weird, right! But I was in heaven. Sadly, I could never find it in any shop... Now I am Celiac and it is just a fond memory...

Cheers,

Sunny

5. Re: Sprouted grain whole wheat bread....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 01, 2014