We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Hi,

Actually it may not be good platform for my question about erasmus but i can easily find better suggestions through your comment to choose between two cities ,Rome or Amsterdam.

I am 24 years old student and i will go to one of these cities via erasmus but i could not choose which is best for me.I would like night life events like going clubbing rather than historical events such as visit museum and historical excursion.

As my preferences you would probably advise to prefer Amsterdam,but i am confused that if 5 months are too much for Amsterdam or whole Netherland.

I have no idea for Rome. Maybe Rome is bigger than Amsterdam but i have no idea either it would satisfy my expectation or not.Because Rome has got more historical perspective than nightlife events.

Please make comment.Thanks a lot :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

That is great... I did a student exchange semester to Bordeaux and no one is ever going to take that fun, impact-ful experience away from me.

As for your choices: definitely Amsterdam.

For me even 15 years in Amsterdam still haven't been enough, why do you think 5 months would be too much? ;-)

The nightlife here is diverse and although it closes early on weekdays, the weekends have lots to offer. There are also lots of festivals, especially in spring/ summer.

There are night trains to other cities subh as Utrecht and Rotterdam in case you want to go out in another city for a change.

Another bonus is that Amsterdam has cheap flights to many European cities, and also good train connections for example to Belgian cities and Paris.

Amsterdam is very international with about 181 nationalities living here. You will feel right at home. Everyone speaks English. Rome is less mixed and hardly any Italians speak more than a few basics of English. However, if you want to learn Italian then of course Rome is the way to go.

Rome may also have cheap flights to other cities but by train it takes longer to go elsewhere. Rome might be cheaper, and warmer, which may be factors for you.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

24 years old? No question - Amsterdam!

Rome is without a doubt one of the most beautiful cities in the world but it is for old people. Amsterdam is for the young. While I'm well over 60 I still like to go to Amsterdam because I still like to feel young.

5 months too much for Amsterdam and the Netherlands - no way. After 5 months you'll leave wondering why you didn't do more.

One of the great things about Europe is the different cultures. In the Netherlands you can travel 200 km in any direction and you will be in the middle of a different culture. In Rome, you will travel 200 km and while you will have a beautiful change of scenery, you will still be in the middle of the same culture.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Unless at your age you have a particular interest in theology, antiquities or religious icons/art/architecture, which doesn't seem to be the case from what you write, then I would say Amsterdam hands-down.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Amsterdam Amsterdam Amsterdam everytime without doubt...

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Alper T -

I think it speaks volumes to see the difference in the responses you got when posting on this forum and then for the same post on the Rome forum. People here were 100% in that they felt based on your post that Amsterdam would be better while the responses on the Rome forum seemed to almost be unanimous in favor of Amsterdam as well One poster did point out that Rome has better weather in winter which is true.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

As a mother I should say: Rome - or something even less exciting, because I have experienced what might happen, if a student comes to such an interesting city to work for a graduation or a diss, lol. In our case it was NY...

But as a normal forumite I say Amsterdam! From what you have posted I think it will fit much better for you, not sure about the project:-))

Edited: 2:02 pm, September 27, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

LOL @ Patara!

Depends on the student I think... I had long parties at least twice a week and outdoor trips every weekend that semester in Bordeaux but managed fine to pass for the exams. A matter of planning...

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

Having visited both although I know Amsterdam better I would say that without a doubt my vote goes to Amsterdam! They are both beautiful cities but Amsterdam is livelier and to my mind offers more to the young set.

9. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:39 am, December 19, 2014
Edited: 9:39 am, December 19, 2014
10. Re: 5 Months in Rome or Amsterdam via Erasmus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 06, 2014