We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

We are planning a trip in the spring mainly to see the museums and hopefully the multitudes of tulips!

One option is arrive Wed. April 16 depart Monday the 21st enroute to Belgium. The other option is Wed. April 23 depart Monday the 28th. I know this is two major holiday times to be visiting but in your opinions which time would be better?

I do want to take a day trip out of Amsterdam to Zaanse Schans to see the windmills. Will public transportation be a major issue at these times?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

The second week will have a higher probability of seeing the tulips at their height but will not be as good for seeing museums as they will be crowded. Transportation will be fine.

You have a choice to make.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

I think both periods will be crowded for museums (although the weekdays before Easter will be fine, but that weekend will be very crowded).

Yes, better chance of tulips in bloom by the end of the month (but it's still nature).

It completely depends on whether you want to be here for Kingsday or not. See the other thread about what that involves. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k68616…

Trains to and from Amsterdam will be like sardine cans on the 26th of April, but other days should be fine.

To go to Zaanse Schans it's easier to catch a bus from Amsterdam Centraal, which stops closer to where you need to be. Options are shown via www.9292.nl/en

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

The second week meaning the 23 to the 28th?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

Yes - the second week as you described it. The week after Easter is crowded as most Europeans take the week AFTER for vacation. Easter weekend itself is pretty crowded but not like the rest of the week.

If you're looking for something to do Easter Sunday, check out the Hermitage - BEAUTIFUL!

Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

Thank you both for your insight. Now I am in more of a quandary. I want to see the tulips!!! I do not want to be involved in a huge party. We are the more quiet, settled types.

With that said, will King's Day last only Saturday?

If so would a museum be less crowded due to partying or even open on the 26th? If we could navigate to Central Station could we take the bus out to Zaanse S?

I have been to NYC for new years and shopping after holidays. Is Amsterdam going to be like that?

The thread Cecile74 linked sounds similiar to those times on a smaller scale.

Hotels are still available but I would like to book soon and get our trip organized. My next post will list the hotels I have viewed and would like local help on.

Thanks again.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

<I have been to NYC for new years and shopping after holidays. Is Amsterdam going to be like that?>

Yes

< If we could navigate to Central Station could we take the bus out to Zaanse S?>

Do not recommend public transportation on King's Day.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
82 reviews
7. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

<(I) Do not recommend public transportation on King's Day.>

I agree. And would not recommend 'trying to navigate Amsterdam towards Central Station' either, if you don't like crowds or parties. All the streets around it will take ages to walk through the crowds.

One year the station was even shut down because of too many people, and riots broke out because people couldn't go anywhere.

From the next year onwards they started telling people to use other train stations as well (Amsterdam Zuid, Amstel, Muiderpoort), but people are stubborn and many still like to travel via CS.

We're talking almost a million extra visitors in top years, to a city of 800,000 inhabitants.

As said in the other thread, Kingsday is much more low-key in other towns. You may want to stay in Zaandam, Haarlem or elsewhere for a few nights.

Edited: 7:08 pm, September 23, 2013
Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

Thanks for the additional information. I think I will chance it before Easter or get out before Saturday the 26th.

I do not want to be in the mix of that many people.

Pam

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

imo I would do the second week,, go to kingsday (queensday) its so much fun, yeah there are crowds but who cares,, its a one in a life time Party, might be a few pic ojn my flickr account

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

10. Re: Travel dates Advise - Pre easter or Kings Day week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 26, 2014