We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacker accommodation

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
148 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacker accommodation

Hi, can anyone recommend backpackers accommodation in central Amsterdam ? Looking for cost effective but safe accommodation.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,673 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacker accommodation

Hi there,

Www.stayokay.nl has great quality, but not the cheapest. Otherwise just search the forum and accomodation with keyword 'hostel' - plenty of choice but often one gets what one pays for...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacker accommodation

If you're under 40, you can stay at the Flying Pig downtown. I've not been to it personally but the reviews are decent. There is another branch near the Vondelpark which I did visit briefly to see a friend. There is a lot of weed smoking in their lounges, which may be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacker accommodation

The most cost effective way is couchsurfing.org but you need to spend some time and effort finding a host and personalizing your couch requests. But if you manage to do that it will make for a free stay and if you're lucky also a fun way of seeing the city through a local's eyes and meeting their friends etc.

As for safety read the references other guests wrote.

And read the safety article I wrote about Amsterdam via the Top Questions.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:48 pm, September 13, 2013
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacker accommodation

Flying pog uptown or downtown are cool hostels ive stayed a couple of times.. Under 40s only though.. Stayok, st christophers or winston hotel.... All great places... Have fun...

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacker accommodation

I have often stayed at Stayokay Stadsdoelen. Close enough to Centraal Station that you can walk to/from it if you wish (but of course you can also reach it by a short tram ride). Huge and safe lockers, breakfast included in the price. Very central.

6. Re: Backpacker accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 16, 2014