We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Margate, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

I am travelling to Amsterdam 1st November-4th November for my 30th birthday. In total there will be 9 blokes ages ranging from 24-50. I wondered if people could give me any useful info for this trip. Good places to drink in the day? Good places to drink at night? Good places for groups to eat? We are staying at the Rembrandt classic and get to Amsterdam at about 11 and will not be able to check in to the hotel until 2pm so a good place to drink until then would be appreciated as well but somewhere reasonably near to the hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,029 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

If you like nice beer then try the Beer Temple near your hotel or the Proeflokaal Arendsnest on the Herengraght which is owned by the same guy.

Otherwise more modern the De Werck next to the Westerkerk or if you want more touristy the Leidseplein is only 10 minutes walk. Plenty of bars there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
2. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

See the links on the left of this page. iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…eating-and-drinking

But it also depends on what type of place you are looking for. Irish pub? Brown bar? Modern cocktail bar? Beer cafe? Coffeeshop for smoking weed?

I personally prefer brown bars such as De Prins, De Koe, Thijssen, 't Smalle, Gollem, etc etc. Brouwerij 't IJ and De Prael brew their own beers and offer tours on certain days.

Look them up on Google Maps. Near your hotel Paleis could be a nice place, but small. Or just wander around the '9 Straatjes' which you are close to (Berenstraat, Wolvenstraat etc) and find a place you like.

However, there might be no need to postpone check-in. I have often showed up early and found my room already ready. You can always try, and at least drop off luggage (in room or in luggage storage of the hotel).

For eating out I suggest at least one night out eating rijsttafel (rice table), sort of Indonesian tapas: a wide selection of small yummie Indonesian dishes. For example Long Pura is big enough and accept reservations. I had delicious rijsttafel there recently. It's a leftover from colonial times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:31 am, September 09, 2013
Margate, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

We have never been before so how close is the beer temple?

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

Really just looking for somewhere easy to find near the hotel (We are mainly all first timers) to have a couple of beers before we check in if we have to postpone check in. Also would be good to know any good sports bars that may be showing the English football on the Saturday? And good cheaper bars to start the evening (i.e to help us get drunk before having to pay at the more expensive tourist bars/clubs later)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,029 posts
79 reviews
5. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

As far as eating goes what type of food do you like as you can have anything you want. What about tepenyaki at a Japanese place or somewhere like Sumo or the Tokyo Cafe where you get all you can eat kind of thing. Do you want to eat a really nice meal for your birthday one night and if so what is your budget?

Umami is a great new place near your hotel also. The Tara Irish bar does nice pub grub and there are loads of Indian and Chinese to chose from.

Indonesian rice tables (rijstafel) is also very popular here. No shortage of choice really.

The Beer temple is near your hotel see here for directions http://goo.gl/maps/jqp7W and Umami is just across the street. The beer is high strength in there though as they have 30 American craft beers on tap. Otherwise there is always O'Reilly's Irish bar if you just want the usual Heineken etc. They will show footbal in there but I normally like to go to Coco's by the Rembrandtplein. They also have a happy hour from 6 until 7 and multiple screens for sport. Nice burgers in there as well as ribs etc. You can even eat kangaroo steak.

Really the main areas for bars are Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein. If you can find cheap bars then let us know.

You might also like the Bier Fabriek on Nes (you can google all these, they are all close to your hotel.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

Brilliant, many thanks. Does anyone know what the area right next to our hotel is like i.e are there many bars/restaurants/coffee shops right outside the hotel?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,029 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

The area right outside is wet as its on the Herengracht so its an upmarket address. Don't worry you wont have to walk very far to get to bars etc.

Margate, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

Best place to get a fry up when hungover in the morning?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
33,029 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

O'Reilly's.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10. Re: 30th birthday in Amsterdam in November

The cheapest way to get some alcohol in you before the expensive bars is by getting beers or other drinks in a supermarket and having a small pre-party in your hotel.

If you want to know what the area around your hotel is like you can use Google Streetview.

You will find snackbars with fries, shoarma (kebab) and falafel all over town. For you Raadhuisstraat is nearby and has a number of them, and Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein squares also have loads of fast food places on / just off them. Or look here: http://goo.gl/maps/Z4vEb

For coffeeshops near your hotel look here: http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/ or follow your nose.

Having said all that you really won't have any trouble finding food and drinks without preparing anything. And you can also recognize the tourist traps from miles away. And may still want to go there anyway. :-)

Happy 30th and try not to puke in our streets please ;-)