We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area around Amsterdam Arena

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Area around Amsterdam Arena

My sister and I are heading over to Amsterdam for the Roger Waters show at the Amsterdam Arena on Sunday 8th September. We have to collect the tickets from the stadium on the day, from 2.30pm. Entry to the arena is from 5.30pm and the show starts at 8.15pm prompt. I am trying to judge when to travel to the stadium, given that I don't want to leave it too late to join queues to pick up the tickets.

Is it feasible to go to the stadium in the late afternoon, and then find somewhere for food and drink in the neighbourhood before heading back to the stadium? Amsterdam experts - how would you structure the afternoon/evening?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,863 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Not too much around the area although there are a couple of bars and a cinema it is more of like an out of town shopping area but without the food court or Pizza Hut.

Do you really have to go there to pick up tickets, can't you pick them up from a ticket office in town?

I would get there around 1830 -1900. I guess you would want to be in your seats (or are you standing?) by 1930. So spend your time in town and then go out to the Arena.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,679 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

We have allocated seats, so no worries about not rushing in at 5.30 to get to the front. Should also have said our hotel is next to Centraal Station, so it looks like the metro is only 12 minutes anyway.

Thanks for the info - looks like your plan makes sense.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Check if the metro is back up and running by that time. They're working on the tunnel this summer and are expecting to reopen it by the end of August but there may be delays.

You can always take a train instead, you just need a different type of ticket.

There are a few bars and snackbars in the ArenA area, not the most cozy ones. And some big shops, some might be open and may be a way to pass some time. Electronics (Mediamarkt), outdoor gear (Decathlon, Perry Sport)... Or the cinema.

Or just pick up the tickets and head back into the center, and come back in the evening. If the metro runs, you could go have a meal in one of the restaurants on Nieuwmarkt, or at the new hotspot Baut right above Wibautstraat metro stop (halfway between ArenA and Central Station), who scored a '10-' (A minus) by Amsterdam's food reviewer Johannes van Dam. http://bautamsterdam.nl/

Trouw (next to it) also has great food and atmosphere.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:34 pm, August 23, 2013
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,673 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Yes good advice. On that day the metro will run fully until 8 PM, afterwards only the non-tunnel stretch. (At least the normal schedule - GVB has pre-announced that they hope to change it on days of major ArenA events and this might just be such one....)

So only your late evening return journey _might_ get affected. In that case either still return by GVB but you have to leave the metro at temporary terminus Amstel station then and take shuttle bus 59 to Central Station; or train Bijlmer station to Central Station.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,863 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Good warnings, more info in English on the GVB site although they say that there is an exception on the 8th September for this event, so the route will be open. The closure of the tunnel from Centraal to Amstel station is scheduled to finish by the 26th

en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/Metrowijzigingenzom…

My advice would be just to take the train both ways. There should be a train every 15 minutes or so.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,673 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Train is really 1 x per 30 mins except on weekdays rush hour. And late evening esp. when there are concerts. Thanks for digging up the latest GVB exception.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

There's also a big shopping square at the other side of the metro line adjacent of the Arena.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,673 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Yes but on a Sunday, like September 8th, most of these shops are closed :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

Yes I already checked that too BL_Henkie or else I would have suggested that shopping center (Amsterdamse Poort) in my earlier post. It's only open one Sunday per month (not that one).

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Area around Amsterdam Arena

But OP was asking for for food and drink. Granted, the KFC which is open till 10 pm, isn't very cozy and neither is the dependance of famous Surinamese restaurant Kam Yin (open till 9 pm), but there are several bars on the square.

Café ’t Amsterdamse Poortje, Bijlmerplein 730 has billiard tables to spend the time.

Of course Amsterdam centre is more fun and only a 15 minutes ride away.