We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe trip sep 2013

mumbai
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Europe trip sep 2013

Hi, We're 3adults+3seniors(minor mobility issues/wheelchair)+1infant(18m) traveling to europe for a vacation around mid sept. We're looking for advice/tips suggestions on our itinerary below:

1) Amsterdam 3N

2) Paris 3N

3) Chamonix 2N

4) Interlaken 5 N

5) Lucerne 2N

Our priorities are to see the main sights, not really keen on museums etc. Prefer access to vegetarian/indian restaurants. Apart from that we are open to ideas on where to stay, best way to search for apartments where possible else hotels, Must see sights and experiences in each destination.

Any help is welcome

Thanks, regards

Anyplacebuthere

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Make sure to avoid Amsterdam during the IBC conference, from sept 12-17 :)

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Best tip I can give is to do some research - i.e. with a guide book or online - then come on to the relevant forum with any more specific questions you may have.

For Amsterdam, all our best tips are given in the Top Questions to the right of this forum.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

For your accommodation, given someone has mobility problems, ensure that the hotel has a lift, as the stairs in many can be narrow and very steep.

I am a wheelchair user, and find we can get about in Amsterdam fine, hubby pushes me everywhere; If you are flying in to Schiphol ring in advance and book train assistance for wheelchair user - they will be waiting for you and assist you on an off the train via a ramp, (the infant, if in a buggy, could use the ramp too.

Make sure you take in a canal boat trip and have a look around the infamous rld too.

Have a good trip.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Most restaurants in Amsterdam will have at least one vegetarian dish on the menu.

These are all the Indian restaurants in Amsterdam. www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/indiaas

You can narrow the search by area via 'Wijken'.

Where to stay / mobility issues: see this thread. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k67590…

Blue Boat has good access for wheelchairs onto canal boats for a canal tour. www.blueboat.nl/en/rondvaarten/rolstoel.html

Hotels will be fully booked or overpriced during the aforementioned IBC conference. Apartments might still be an option.

In Paris, Montmartre is a really nice area, so is Le Marais. But hotels tend to have tiny elevators, or just stairs. When looking for hotels, for example in Booking, narrow your search for hotels with access for wheelchairs only (Booking allows an advanced search with tick boxes on the left, after you did your first search.) The rooms in Paris hotels also tend to be tiny, with barely enough space to walk around the bed, let alone a wheelchair. So look for special hotels.

The metro system in Paris sometimes has no elevators either. But taxis are not super expensive in Paris (they are quite expensive in Amsterdam).

You will have a harder time finding vegetarian food in Paris.

Hope this helps,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:38 am, August 15, 2013
Watchet, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

juejosh, I've been advised that you're the person I need in advising me on my trip (next week - yikes!) to Amsterdam...

I'm travelling in my electric wheelchair... It's not the first time to Holland (I've a brother in The Hague) but it's the first there alone!!

Actually having asked a couple of things and having read lots of posts I don't think I have questions tonight...

Just a bit unsure who I call for booking the ramps from Schipol to A'dam Centraal; have been trying to do it thro ns.nl is that right - having a bit of a problem with the website.

Thankoo. Nadya.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,409 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

The best advice I can give is to not over look post number one in this thread. At least as far as hotels and $$.

Or in the case of the IBC $$$$$$$$$.

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

Hello! I am doing the amsterdam marathon 2013 , will be thr from 18th to 20th oct in amsterdam ..I have three more days in europe till 24th.Want some suggestions for places to vist near amsterdam...outside netherlands...my mother is accompanying me..so its mother daughter duo travelling for the first tym..so pls gv some tips abt which places to visit within netherlands also outside...thanks...jayshree

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

hello.!! we are mother- daughter duo travelling for first time to amsterdam (i am doing amsterdam marathon on 20th oct).we are looking for advice on places to travel in netherlands and also around netherlands..I am in amsterdam from 18th to 20th oct..flying back to india on 24th oct..so i have 3 days in hand...so please suggest some places..thanks..jayshree

9. Re: Europe trip sep 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 02, 2014