We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Dutch and their bikes

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
The Dutch and their bikes

BBC Article explaining why cycling is so popular here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23587916

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Dutch and their bikes

Plenty of scares in Amsterdam but also many in and around Den Haag,wee've just come back from there,motoring is fun being on an unfamiliar side of the road,trying to watch out for things coming from the 'wrong' direction,listening to a deranged satnav & knowing that a bike could be homing on you any moment,the joys of motoring!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Dutch and their bikes

I was staggered when I was at a pedestrian crossing with the green light for me and cyclists actually stopped! I then glanced over my shoulder to the left and saw a police car!

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Dutch and their bikes

More than once, I've seen people ignore red lights - in full view of police. That nearly always results, of course, in a ticket.

But, I mean - how can you miss a motor cop in full fluo-yellow gear, when he's standing next to you? Or how can you miss five or six cops, with ticket books in their hands, on the other side of the street, when you decide to cross the street despite a red light? It seems like some people don't even know it's forbidden…

By the way, the BBC report mentions priority for cyclists on roundabouts - that's only true for a part of the roundabouts. There are quite a lot of roundabouts (often outside built-up areas) where motorized traffic has priority.

14. Re: The Dutch and their bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 16, 2014