We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay?

My husband and I will be visiting Amsterdam for a flying visit in Nov (arrive early Sat am, leaving Sun evening).

We've seen lots of lovely hotels, but were wondering which area is the best to stay in. We want to be pretty central, but not too noisy. Banks Mansion has some great reviews, but is this too far from the centre?

Thanks

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
366 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay?

Not sure about the Banks Mansion, but when I was in Amsterdam last April I stayed in the museum district. While its not right in the central area it was quiet and an easy walk to the major museums. Because of Amsterdams great transportation system I could easy catch a tram to the central area if I needed to go there. I stayed at the Hotel Washington which was fine, but does have new owners so not sure how long its quality will hold up.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay?

Banks Mansion is in the centre, a couple of mins walk from the flower market and Rembrandt Sq. The Spiegelstraat with its antique shops is also a few mins walk and the Rijksmuseum just beyond. No hotel has everything on its doorstep but the centre of Amsterdam is not that big. Have fun

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay?

Yeah, Banks is a fine location. Like the previous poster said, Amsterdam centre is small, public transport is good. Two minutes to Rembranplein, ten minutes to Leidseplein, good location by a canal. And Daziel and Pascoe filmed their Amsterdam episode there too!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay?

Thanks a lot for your speedy replies. Banks Mansion it is!