We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

Hello, everyone:

Is there a significant difference? My only train-class experience was in Italy, where I found the 2nd-class cars perfectly acceptable. I'll be traveling on a weekday morning in late September, if that makes any difference. I'm buying two tickets, so the 2nd-class savings of 68 euro is substantial--although I'd be willing to pay extra if it were a matter of having to stand instead of getting a seat.

I'd intended to spring for the Thalys train but I didn't realize that the prices rise as the departure date approaches, and now it costs more than twice as much as the IC train. (I'd be willing to spend it if there weren't an alternative.) I don't mind that the ride is 2 hours instead of 1, but I am a little nervous about changing trains in Rotterdam--does 17 minutes sound like enough time to transfer?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,717 Reviews
from $74.30*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,388 Reviews
from $74.30*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from $124.70*
$148.60
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

If you found Italian 2nd class acceptable, you'll be in heaven.

2nd is fine, no need to pay extra.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

Thank you--I'm hoping for a heavenly trip!

Seriously, you advisors are wonderful and I've learned so much from this forum. Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to answer questions. I'll probably be posting again before I leave (six weeks from Saturday!), and I will certainly be back afterward to let you know how it went.

Edited: 3:58 pm, August 01, 2013
Utrecht
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

Also, do not worry about the 17 minutes changing time. It is more then enough, but even if your first train arrives to late and you miss the train, it's no big deal. Tickets for dutch intercitys are not train specific, you can just wait half an hour or so and board the next train. It's even allowed to get off at any station inbetween, look around for a few hours, and then continue your journey!

Note: this is not the case for Thalys. If you buy a ticket there you have to take the train you made your reservation for.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,588 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

I believe these trains are now Belgian rolling stock for the trip to Rotterdam and then Fyra or whatever they are going to call it now for the fast train to Amsterdam.

On both the difference is minimal between first and second. First has a 1-2 seat config, second 2-2. Unless you are travelling in rush hour then 2nd class is perfectly OK.

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
53 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

Thanks, all! Now I'm tempted to hop off in Rotterdam, eager though I am to get to Amsterdam. This is my first trip to the Netherlands so I'm working through the familiar dilemma of maintaining a balanced pace and trying to see as much as I can. But even though I haven't been there yet, I'm pretty sure that I'll want to come back.

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

If you hop off in Rotterdam before seeing the rest of the country, you will have seen hell before going to heaven :))

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
7. Re: 1st or 2nd class on the IC Antwerp to Amsterdam train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 04, 2014